Chromis QT to small?

Chbix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am cycling a 180, I am doing the right way and gonna QT everything. So 2 weeks ago, I got 6 small chromis from the LFS, wanted some larger groups of fish and read that groups of 6-8 should be ok and limited bullying. Put in a 5g qt and began treating with copper and prazipro per the humble fish QT procedures (started copper at 1ppm then raised to over 2, treated with prazipro and manaflex, second dose of prazipro after 7 days with a water change (matched the copper of the new water). first 10 days, no issues, no aggression, all fish eating well. 10th day, found 1 dead, checked parameters all nominal: Ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates like 5-10, ph 8.2 or 8.3, salinity 1.024, temp 78. Next day another one dead. 2 days later, came home and see one floating around in the current. Fins moving, was breathing, but obviously could not move and was just getting blown around. Today, wake up and 1 is stuck to the filter intake, breathing but unable to swim away, have unplugged the filter and it swims down and hides in the PVC but then doesnt move so that ones obviously on its way out. so hat leaves 2.

For the most part all of them have been hiding behind filter, all in the same tank at the LFS, so given the parameters are in check is this the classic Chromis aggression? Is a 5 gal QT to small? Should I try with a bigger QT? Or should I just accept that Chromis are jerks to each other and go with a group of anthias or cardinals?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any ripped fins on the fish? Did you see any "bruises" on their sides? Did they die with their mouths open?

Technically, as long as you manage the water quality, you can QT those fish in that small of a tank. Indeed, crowding fish often reduces aggression.

Currently, I am advising people not to buy small green chromis. Due to Covid, the supply chain has gotten all wonky, and fish are moving through it much slower than they were. This really tears up small green chromis; they don't handle long shipments without food, and Uronema becomes a big issue (thus my questions above). If I were to buy chromis now, I would source some larger ones from Fiji or anywhere other than Indonesia or the Philippines.

Jay

OP
OP
Chbix

Chbix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No ripped fins that I saw, no bruises, and mouths closed. Again I havent witnessed any aggression, but the 2 left are bigger than the others and with no other answers, I don know what else to look at.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That does seem to point to aggression - that can be hard to see as it happens in a fleeting moment, usually when you are out of the room.

Jay

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back