Chromis?

KyOsIBa515

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I am currently cycling my 65 gallon tank for a fish only. When the time comes I am going to start off w some chromis. Ideally 3-4 being they are schooling fish. My question anyone have experience with blue reef chromis in a smaller system like mine? I have heard they can do weird things in a smaller system like single each other out even though they are a school fish.

foxngn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i kept before in my 60g. 3 green chromis, but there is particularly 1 that keep on been bullied by the alpha even though they all introduced into the tank together.

While i got no issue when i was keeping the Orange Line Chromis.

Oberst Oswald

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started with 5. After 2 weeks only one left. Seen the last one killing #4. Just get only one.

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I purchased 8 Chromis from Live Aquaria. I put them in QT. Well i don't know how they decide the pecking order but only 3 made it to my DT. Now I only have 1 lol.
THey kill each other off. I would love to try to get more but i'm scared it will repeat. Funny thing is that when in QT I never found five dead fish. In fact I looked all over the tank and found nothing of dead fish. I know I put 8 in because well I counted. I never found the dead 2 in my DT which is a 150 with lots of rocks and I refused to look.

408Dartfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a group of 3 green chromis i started with in my 69g for around 7-8 months they’re great. Do pick on each other some but I feed frozen food everyday. I really like them, whenever I upgrade I’ll get some blue reef chromis. Dustin

Brian Saxby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 180 and have just dunked 8 greens about 2 months ago. I have 4 left and I feed a lot. They do shoal a bit. Give it a try. Maybe you will have different luck than others. I lost the 4 in the first couple weeks. Aggression seems to be dying down but ya never know. May end up with one fatty in another couple months

nonstopfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with these is they are commonly thought of as schooling fish. They are, in huge numbers with big fish and predators around. Something that is very difficult to duplicate in most aquariums. The problem is no one wants to buy hundreds of dollars worth of chromis to give themselves the best chance of success and possibly still fail. The only long term shoals I have seen were with 25-50 of these in large tanks. The aggression was spread out enough for it to work in those cases.

Eva Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is their any difference among temperament among chromis ? For example would he have a better chance with blue reef chromis vs green chromis OR are they all about the same in aggression ?

mcbdz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to add to this question
Would they do better if added later after bigger fish are already in the tank?

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw you just joined and starting a 65, so welcomes are in order first

WELCOME

upload_2019-3-13_19-14-29.gif

As far as chromis/damsels- all do have different temperament. Some keeping them have had good luck, some not so much. I have a 180 that houses a happy, schooling group of green chromis. Your tank is large enough, so with a lot of rock work or other hiding areas it willl give better odds of them being happy.

Bluespottedjawfish1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been buying the black axle chromis from Fiji and their color really pops under my gen 4s. They offer great movement and while I have just added several more recently and see a little chasing each other they generally get on. The originals have been in my aquarium for 3-4 years. I have a mini school of 6.

Whisperer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 8 greens for more than 1 year with occasional chasing but nothing serious. Until last week when, for two consecutive nights, a hitchhiker crab killed one each night. Now I have 6 and plan to get two more to restore the original eight. I feed them two times a day with pureed table shrimp. I caught the crab and got rid of it.

ReefScrub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i started with 4, i have 2 now and they do not pick on each other whatsoever. its luck of the draw with them

Shawna Solomon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had some fluctuations in my success with chromis. In the beginning I had 3 and they all disappeared and then I got two more and they also disappeared. I thought my eel ate them but I don’t think he did but I honestly have no idea what happened. A couple months ago I decided to try again and bought 2 chromis, 1 Fiji damsel, and 2 pink looking damsels and I still have all 5.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive had five for the last four years. In MHO is to keep them in larger groups. This will spread the aggression amongst all individuals. Its worked with me in a 75g tank

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i give up on chromis. i am trying anthias now. which I started off with 4 female one turned male and 1 came up missing so I have 3. i stopped looking for her after a week. face been on the back of a milk carton for the last month and nothing.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back