Cichlid Guy Making the Jump

CascadianExotics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fish friends! My name is Steve, and saltwater has been a lifelong goal of mine. I started keeping fish about 40 years ago, and got into cichlids because I heard somewhere that they were the path to the marine fish that I was always eyeing when I went to the LFS with my grandparents for their tanks.

I kept multiple tanks until I left home, then spent the next 25+ years with reptiles and venomous invertebrates due to not wanting to pack around a bunch of aquariums whenever I had to move. I had always been meaning to get back into fish, but a tragic accident in our reptile room kind of forced my hand.

I currently have three display tanks of African cichlids (Malawi, Tanganyikan, and a pair of Starry Nights), and while doing some renovations to our spare room, I thought it would be a perfect place to set up a reef tank and fulfill a lifelong dream of mine.

So, here I am. I've learned a lot already, but this hobby runs deep, and I know I have a lot more to learn. You can bet I am going to have a ton of questions, and I look forward to meeting you guys on the forums!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Clownfish.gif

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fish friends! My name is Steve, and saltwater has been a lifelong goal of mine. I started keeping fish about 40 years ago, and got into cichlids because I heard somewhere that they were the path to the marine fish that I was always eyeing when I went to the LFS with my grandparents for their tanks.

I kept multiple tanks until I left home, then spent the next 25+ years with reptiles and venomous invertebrates due to not wanting to pack around a bunch of aquariums whenever I had to move. I had always been meaning to get back into fish, but a tragic accident in our reptile room kind of forced my hand.

I currently have three display tanks of African cichlids (Malawi, Tanganyikan, and a pair of Starry Nights), and while doing some renovations to our spare room, I thought it would be a perfect place to set up a reef tank and fulfill a lifelong dream of mine.

So, here I am. I've learned a lot already, but this hobby runs deep, and I know I have a lot more to learn. You can bet I am going to have a ton of questions, and I look forward to meeting you guys on the forums!
Welcome aboard steve...I was and still am a Freshwater guy for over 20 years. Started my 1st 40B Saltwater Tank 1.5 years ago.

125 Mixed South American Cichlid Tank, 40B Saltwater mixed reef, 10 gallon Planted tank.
Welcome Aboard Hasan Minhaj GIF by Patriot Act

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Well hello, I've kept and still keep American cichlids as well as African. Started in 92. I moved to salt a year ago and it has been a trip. I have found it as easy as the cichlid keeping just way more expensive! Good luck on your journey and you picked the best place for coaching here at Reef 2 Reef.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 45 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back