Citric Acid Concentration for Cleaning...?

VBMike

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Randy- citric acid has piqued my interest as a means of soaking/cleaning pumps, skimmers, etc. because I don't care for the smell of vinegar and I'm scared for my kids and pets around muratic acid.

It looks like it may actually be cheaper than vinegar, too... here's 5lbs for $14 on Amazon Prime: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OZFECU?th=1

To achieve a similar acidity to vinegar, how much of this stuff do I mix with water? Do I just dump it in and mix it?

Thanks!

:)

TeotheCoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Randy,

I am planning to disinfect my Red Sea Reefer 170 by running with a solution of either bleach, citric acid or vinegar. Because it is a rimless tank I’m concern that these acids may weaken the silicone seam. Would like your advice on which is safest to use in this regard. Thank you.

TeotheCoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're welcome.

Good luck and let us know how it works out. :)
Hello Randy,

I am planning to disinfect my Red Sea Reefer 170 by running with a solution of either bleach, citric acid or vinegar. Because it is a rimless tank I’m concern that these acids may weaken the silicone seam. Would like your advice on which is safest to use in this regard. Thank you.

VJM 21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it is worth I use 3Tablespoons per quart, cup per gallon when soaking MP40 wet side heads and it works nicely.
Thanks for the info. For how long do you soak them in that solution?

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I only use citric acid to clean equipment as well. Not a fan of vinegar or muriatic acid either. I use a old chinese soup container to soak powerheads and it works like a charm. I also use this
Milliard Citric Acid 5 Pound - 100% Pure Food Grade NON-GMO Project VERIFIED (5 Pound)
I like it because I can zip it back. Been using it for about a year so far and have had no issues.

jccaclimber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I’m around a cup per gallon, maybe a bit more. Typically it’s a add more when it stops bubbling sort of thing.
Ziplock bags rolled up for long or thin stuff, cup/bowls/jars for things like wet sides.
If I want to reuse it I’ll keep it in the fridge so it doesn’t mold, but it works better warm, so gets a quick trip through the microwave.

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just cleaned a couple of pumps. I filled a 5 gallon bucket with 3 gallons of water. I did 1/2 cup per gallon. So it was 1 1/2 cups citric acid to the 3 gallons. I let the pumps run for 4 hours and they came out sparkling clean. I then rinsed them in fresh water.

jccaclimber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just cleaned a couple of pumps. I filled a 5 gallon bucket with 3 gallons of water. I did 1/2 cup per gallon. So it was 1 1/2 cups citric acid to the 3 gallons. I let the pumps run for 4 hours and they came out sparkling clean. I then rinsed them in fresh water.
Did you pull the apart? I’ve found that running my pumps in citric acid shines them up, but doesn’t get the area at the back of the impeller very well. For this I pull impellers out, tilt the pumps up, and pour in a scoop of citric acid with warm water.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only use citric acid to clean equipment as well. Not a fan of vinegar or muriatic acid either. I use a old chinese soup container to soak powerheads and it works like a charm. I also use this
Milliard Citric Acid 5 Pound - 100% Pure Food Grade NON-GMO Project VERIFIED (5 Pound)
I like it because I can zip it back. Been using it for about a year so far and have had no issues.

I also use Milliards. About 1/2 cup to a gallon and I am pleased. Works as well or better than white vinegar. A downside was that it would funk up after a week or so growing a bunch of nasty slimy bloom whereas vinegar would keep forever.

Got a helpful tip from another reefer here: a tablespoon or two of sodium benzoate seems to preserve it fairly well so far. Amazon cheap.

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you pull the apart? I’ve found that running my pumps in citric acid shines them up, but doesn’t get the area at the back of the impeller very well. For this I pull impellers out, tilt the pumps up, and pour in a scoop of citric acid with warm water.

Took them apart when I rinsed. Everything was sparkling clean.

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bumping up this old thread. Can I use saltwater to mix w citric acid? I just did a wc and wanted to see if I could use this water

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could, but it will be much less effective per unit of citric acid used. The carbonate will keep the pH from getting as low, and all the calcium and magnesium will complex much of the citrate.

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could, but it will be much less effective per unit of citric acid used. The carbonate will keep the pH from getting as low, and all the calcium and magnesium will complex much of the citrate.
Darn! Thanks though! I don’t have a ton of citric acid on hand so I’ll use freshwater

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back