Clam died!!!! please help

  • Thread starter Thread starter Kydnblue2
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Kydnblue2

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 6, 2020
Messages
89
Reaction score
26
Location
Ny
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to reefapolooza NJ 3 weeks ago. I purchased a maxima clam. Really beautiful. I have a 220 gallon tank. Everything was great to yesterday when I noticed him not fully opening and 2 tiger conchs near him. I moved him to another side of tank. Today I woke up found a tiger conch near him and clam opened and dead…. Really mad. Tank includes
4 tiger conchs
1 schoal tang
1 purple tang
2 green chromis
2 clown
Who is the bad guy ? Please help. Need to understand why this happened
 
Sorry. Clams can be tough. My best guess is there wasn’t a bad guy. The clam died for some unknown reason and the conch was doing his natural cleanup duty.
 
Do you think tangs possibly attacked him ?
No. I don’t think any of those fish would cause a problem. I would be concerned about pygmy angels, but those aren’t on your list. Pyramid snails can be a problem, but you would have seen very small snails on the bottom of the mantle. Otherwise, clam deaths are hard to figure out IME.

https://www.liveaquaria.com/article/122/?aid=122
 
What size was the clam? Was it growing? Were there new scutes at the top of the shell?
 
Dying in 3 weeks depending on the size of the clam, generally indicates either a unhealthy clam, they take that long to die if not healthy despite looking good, or something in the tank killed it. Based off the list I think it probably wasn’t healthy to start, which can be nearly impossible to determine. However I have had tangs including purple pick at clam mantles once they develop taste for the slime. It seems unlikely here as you should have seen it.

A general rule I use is 2-3 weeks in an otherwise healthy tank to die is a clam with a problem, longer that time is something with the tank. With plenty of exceptions of course.
 
Dying in 3 weeks depending on the size of the clam, generally indicates either a unhealthy clam, they take that long to die if not healthy despite looking good, or something in the tank killed it. Based off the list I think it probably wasn’t healthy to start, which can be nearly impossible to determine. However I have had tangs including purple pick at clam mantles once they develop taste for the slime. It seems unlikely here as you should have seen it.

A general rule I use is 2-3 weeks in an otherwise healthy tank to die is a clam with a problem, longer that time is something with the tank. With plenty of exceptions of course.
Ty for the info !! Appreciate it
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new