Clam died!!!! please help

Kydnblue2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to reefapolooza NJ 3 weeks ago. I purchased a maxima clam. Really beautiful. I have a 220 gallon tank. Everything was great to yesterday when I noticed him not fully opening and 2 tiger conchs near him. I moved him to another side of tank. Today I woke up found a tiger conch near him and clam opened and dead…. Really mad. Tank includes
4 tiger conchs
1 schoal tang
1 purple tang
2 green chromis
2 clown
Who is the bad guy ? Please help. Need to understand why this happened

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry. Clams can be tough. My best guess is there wasn’t a bad guy. The clam died for some unknown reason and the conch was doing his natural cleanup duty.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think tangs possibly attacked him ?
No. I don’t think any of those fish would cause a problem. I would be concerned about pygmy angels, but those aren’t on your list. Pyramid snails can be a problem, but you would have seen very small snails on the bottom of the mantle. Otherwise, clam deaths are hard to figure out IME.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size was the clam? Was it growing? Were there new scutes at the top of the shell?

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dying in 3 weeks depending on the size of the clam, generally indicates either a unhealthy clam, they take that long to die if not healthy despite looking good, or something in the tank killed it. Based off the list I think it probably wasn’t healthy to start, which can be nearly impossible to determine. However I have had tangs including purple pick at clam mantles once they develop taste for the slime. It seems unlikely here as you should have seen it.

A general rule I use is 2-3 weeks in an otherwise healthy tank to die is a clam with a problem, longer that time is something with the tank. With plenty of exceptions of course.

OP
OP
K

Kydnblue2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dying in 3 weeks depending on the size of the clam, generally indicates either a unhealthy clam, they take that long to die if not healthy despite looking good, or something in the tank killed it. Based off the list I think it probably wasn’t healthy to start, which can be nearly impossible to determine. However I have had tangs including purple pick at clam mantles once they develop taste for the slime. It seems unlikely here as you should have seen it.

A general rule I use is 2-3 weeks in an otherwise healthy tank to die is a clam with a problem, longer that time is something with the tank. With plenty of exceptions of course.
Ty for the info !! Appreciate it

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.8%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 33 16.8%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 49.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back