Clam feeding?

leewish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am dosing phyto for my small clam and turning off skimmer during feeding. How often should you feed your small clam?

xjiang7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no need to feed them. They get all the energy they need from photosynthesis by the symbiotic zooxanthellae. That being said, they should be provided with enough light and nitrate and phosphate in water

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Baby clams do like food. I would stir up sandbed and blow rocks off too. Help keep lots of stuff in water column for you. By baby, I am talking under 2-3 inches. Otherwise, a few times a week with roids or similar is good. Just feed to tank, spot feeding will not really work too well.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Phyto in water is good as they’re filter feeders. Suspended food always ends up in mine

MJ in Boise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never fed my little clams. I prefer to buy them small (1-1/2"+) and have yet to have an unhappy clam. I do dose phyto, but I doubt anyone could call 5 drops a day in a 125 meaningful to clam health.

litlsea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never fed my little clams. I prefer to buy them small (1-1/2"+) and have yet to have an unhappy clam. I do dose phyto, but I doubt anyone could call 5 drops a day in a 125 meaningful to clam health.
I think you would be surprised. They filter a lot of water and even your 5 drops of phyto plus whatever else is floating in the water column is probably enough to keep them going until they can derive all their needs from photosynthesis. I never spot fed my clam even when he/she was only an inch long. 3+ inches now in just over a year.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't feed my clam food, but if you want to do this you need to add phytoplankton to your tank.
BlueSquamosa2019052601.jpg

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank have high flow in a lot of the area. With variable flow there are sometime sandstorms going on in my tank. The flow pick up the sand and spread it everywhere sometime results in sand deposits on the coral, clams and anemones.
They just move them off their surface given a little time. I tried to provide natural condition for my tank and if this cause it to not looking optimal at times, it is OK with me. I don’t have a crystal clear tank. Sometime you see sand storms in some of my pictures.

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank have high flow in a lot of the area. With variable flow there are sometime sandstorms going on in my tank. The flow pick up the sand and spread it everywhere sometime results in sand deposits on the coral, clams and anemones.
They just move them off their surface given a little time. I tried to provide natural condition for my tank and if this cause it to not looking optimal at times, it is OK with me. I don’t have a crystal clear tank. Sometime you see sand storms in some of my pictures.
I have a pistol shrimp and squamosa. The pistol makes sand storms also getting sand on my clams mantle. I always thought you had to blow it off with a siphon. Guess not!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 48 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 46 32.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 22.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back