Clam ID

Kuhn

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 20, 2022
Messages
42
Reaction score
11
Location
St Louis
What state or country do you live in
Missouri
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! Back again with another critter ID!
Found this clam-like critter on one of the shells that this hermit has been carrying around for a while

At first I figured it was just some sort of abnormal growth from the snail that used to call this shell home.

I noticed recently that this "growth" was getting larger and decided to take a closer look.
Well to my surprise it appears to be a critter! And it's alive!

I found it so fascinating, I went to take out the shell for a closer look and it has opened and closed before my eyes. So I know for a fact that it's alive and that it has to be some sort of clam.

Question is, what mind of clam?
Thanks in advance!

20230801_192404.jpg 20230801_192608.jpg
 
Just curious -- did it survive?
I'm sure there are a ton of bivalve species that could hitchhike in.
*looks like some kind of scallop to me but no guess on specifics
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 9 28.1%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 21.9%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 28.1%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 21.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new