Clams for sand?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Dalmatia
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Dalmatia

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
May 27, 2013
Messages
1,356
Reaction score
75
Location
Toronto
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I told my wife to buy me some clams for my porcupine puffer and she came back with live clams from the supermarket. I thought to my self what if I put them in my sump?? So I poped around 25 of them in. Next morning they all buried them selfs in the sand! Has anyone ever tried this, they are great filter feeders
image.jpg
 
Never tried it but I suspect they will eventually starve if left there; you could leave them there and use them for food, replacing them with fresh ones as needed; curious if they'd have any beneficial impact on water quality....interesting.
 
Wow that's pretty cool. How excited were they to go from the super market back to "the ocean". It's going to be tough to break it to them that they are still food lol.
 
That's my only concern??? I hope not...

I always want to take sea weed home from the local beach to feed my tangs but always chicken out because i am afraid of something bad.

When I was a kid I took fish out of the local river and put them in my oscar tank and soon after the oscars got sick and died
 
Other than all that, I've seen clams clear a tank of dirty water in to clear water in 24 hours
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 10.0%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 20.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new