Clams problem

Luca Gallizio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys! I have a big problem with my clams...

I Think that's a bacterial infection...

Im doing a glucose treatment but this time seem that doesn't help... in really sad about it...

The infection started frim the last clam that i bought 2 Week ago... the squamosa... already died...

I hope someone can help me...

During the glucose treatment the maxima clam its open and you can see a White part in middle... as the last picture

44a1081ac6cf01f5d6e84b92fccc5424.jpg
af18bac00cfff0765121c47cf2586374.jpg
ca66c9136cc9a8c39a88c6ec7a4cbc54.jpg

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I'm not familiar with a glucose treatment . Do you have a link to some info?

@Tahoe61 I've never seen this. I'm assuming bacterial as well.

OP
OP
Luca Gallizio

Luca Gallizio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its a way to feed them when they are really weak... that really help usually... but not this time...

i dont' have any article in english, right now..... but i can send you the translation of the one i wrote for an italian megazine about it... the article was about the Pyramidellidae Snails, my last problem with my clams... but right now... i have something completly different to solve.

Link---> http://www.danireef.com/2017/05/09/pyramidellidae-snails-tridacna-killers/

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Protozoan or bacterial.

The white tissue is just an area with little zooxanthellae concentration, not uncommon.

The first clam is a Derasa, the second a Tahitian Maxima. It's not uncommon for the Tahitian to fail to thrive and then up and die. The Derasa is much hardier.

Mr. Albert Thiel did some fascinating work with clams infected with protoza, he used large amounts of charcoal. I have found charcoal to be of assist as well, also FW baths (pH and temp match). FW when done too late in the disease process often over stress the clam and lead to it's demise. I am not familiar with glucose treatment but I will dig around.
I suggest you look to Albert Thiels work, the link below might lead you to his treatment for protozoan infections. Good luck.

https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/topic/305180-the-official-ask-albert-thiel-thread/?page=334

R2R also has some fantastic Tridacna stickies. See below.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/pinched-mantle-disease-id-and-treatment-options.98140/

OP
OP
Luca Gallizio

Luca Gallizio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Protozoan or bacterial.

The white tissue is just an area with little zooxanthellae concentration, not uncommon.

The first clam is a Derasa, the second a Tahitian Maxima. It's not uncommon for the Tahitian to fail to thrive and then up and die. The Derasa is much hardier.

Mr. Albert Thiel did some fascinating work with clams infected with protoza, he used large amounts of charcoal. I have found charcoal to be of assist as well, also FW baths (pH and temp match). FW when done too late in the disease process often over stress the clam and lead to it's demise. I am not familiar with glucose treatment but I will dig around.
I suggest you look to Albert Thiels work, the link below might lead you to his treatment for protozoan infections. Good luck.

https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/topic/305180-the-official-ask-albert-thiel-thread/?page=334

R2R also has some fantastic Tridacna stickies. See below.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/pinched-mantle-disease-id-and-treatment-options.98140/

Thank you for your help! i really appreciate it! In going to read it!

OP
OP
Luca Gallizio

Luca Gallizio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're welcome, I sure hope it helps some. It's good foundation knowledge for your next clam. :)

yeah, they are da.mn delicate... they are going to make me crazy... the maxima its 5 years old in my tank, and the derasa its 4... and they are definitly big. anyway im going to update the thread.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah, they are da.mn delicate... they are going to make me crazy... the maxima its 5 years old in my tank, and the derasa its 4... and they are definitly big. anyway im going to update the thread.

Well dang you know Tridacna then.

I'll keep an eye out for your thread update. :)

OP
OP
Luca Gallizio

Luca Gallizio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done right now the FW bath... with the same temperature and ph.

The tridacna clams seem fine, and they are open as nothing happend... (the light its off right Now in the tank but they arent completely closed so it seem that doesn't made them worse.

And I added active carbon in the tank.

34af04f04ddef4c72c01a22a2b1ee1cd.jpg

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following.

I hope you can get them recovered. I lost all my clams that were 1 year plus when I bought a new guy that carried something in my system. I tried treatment of various antibiotics and anti flagellate drugs (metro) but was unsuccessful. In fact even after leaving the system empty of clams for a couple months I never was able to keep another in there. I now strongly advise everyone to QT new clams if they have some in the system. We just don't know much about various clam diseases or treatment.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

OP
OP
Luca Gallizio

Luca Gallizio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following.

I hope you can get them recovered. I lost all my clams that were 1 year plus when I bought a new guy that carried something in my system. I tried treatment of various antibiotics and anti flagellate drugs (metro) but was unsuccessful. In fact even after leaving the system empty of clams for a couple months I never was able to keep another in there. I now strongly advise everyone to QT new clams if they have some in the system. We just don't know much about various clam diseases or treatment.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

no worries, thank you for sharing that! i hope the same... to get them recovered... anyway its exactly what happend to me this time....

OP
OP
Luca Gallizio

Luca Gallizio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look a little bit better... i Think i can hope to see them getting better slowly...

Anyway this evening happend a weird Thing.... my Tridacne derasa killed my green wrasse... in a terribile way... [emoji52] that's the first time a see somenthing Like that.

I dont understand why the fish was disturbing the clam...
bb12d1a553096862594a5fd859f7a8d4.jpg
64f246fc16b30e668583a9707391ae6a.jpg
1fa20b4ec6a3c8bef93dc4f9620db866.jpg

mystersyster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about your wrasse. My clams are so used to be brushed up against by my melanurus wrasse that they hardly flinch anymore.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back