Clams replacing refugium as a nutrient export

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only question to this , how are you going to supply the alk and calcium needed for growth .

Didn't think of this.

My thought was to investigate alternatives to a fuge but if you have to fight the alk/Ca levels then maybe a Chaeto fuge is better.

The lure of the "perpetual motion machine" is always appealing - the fish provide the waste and the oysters delight in it - a natural solution and in theory almost zero work , no special Chaeto lights/sump space etc.

An idea too good to be true?
Sounds like the ocean....lol

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank typically stays from 79.4 to 79.9, so that's likely plenty stable. I wonder what their ideal spawn cycle is. Might linking a planned temperature spike with a moon cycle create a reliable spawn trigger? How much of a temperature spike seems to induce spawning?
I'm trying to figure out. Don't know. What I do know is when I acclimate oysters, some spawn.

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IF temperature changes spur oyster spawning, it shouldn't be too difficult to induce. You could pull a few out and put them in a container in your refrigerator and aerate the water with a battery powered pump. I think you could get them down to 40 degrees in a normal refrigerator. It that's too low, you could put them into your wine cooler and get down into the 50s. A two section wine cooler, with 50s for whites and 60s for reds, would get you an even wider temperature range.

Could be time to Google "oyster husbandry". No, maybe later - it's time to pop the cork of a nice Argentine Cabernet...

OP
OP
L

Leko

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I do know is when I acclimate oysters, some spawn.

Is this a harmful pollutant that's not removed/consumed by corals or fish?

A softie reef with fish and live rock using oysters for particle filtration/waste sounds more and more interesting.

Maybe test without a skimmer or filter socks.

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oysters will last for 30 years, huh?

I'll bet dimes to buttons that I won't last another 30 years!

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought some oysters..... I've decided to see if they are a good form of nutrient exportation. Ill let y'all know what I find out! They were only 10$ bought them in ice, through them into my tank! They all opened up , I Guess ill find out if they clean the water. Oyster eggs are great for feeding sps corals so spawning events are welcome in my book. I might even try to make a pearl or two

paintman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only question is how do you go about acclimating oysters? I have a fantastic seafood store that has Pacific caught live oysters but they are shipped out to the East coast on ice. Would I have to slowly bring them up to temp over a period of days?

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only question is how do you go about acclimating oysters? I have a fantastic seafood store that has Pacific caught live oysters but they are shipped out to the East coast on ice. Would I have to slowly bring them up to temp over a period of days?
I was unsure what to do.... I just threw them in!!!!! They all opened up and were moving when I poked them.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought some oysters..... I've decided to see if they are a good form of nutrient exportation. Ill let y'all know what I find out! They were only 10$ bought them in ice, through them into my tank! They all opened up , I Guess ill find out if they clean the water. Oyster eggs are great for feeding sps corals so spawning events are welcome in my book. I might even try to make a pearl or two
Just keep a good eye on them for the first 4 weeks. Some will not make it and maybe they will...
I don't just talk the talk, I walk the talk.... hahaha

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You just have to remember Pacific oysters are one of the most hardy . Some oysters are not designed for higher temperatures like our reef tanks. I don't remember which type they were but recently seafood market near me, were out of Pacific oysters where I buy them and so I bought what they had and had no issues. I did lose maybe 10%, but that's it

moonwaxx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No lights, in my 7.5 nano , there's 7 Pacific oysters. 6 in sump, 1 in DT.
Just keep an eye for first 4 weeks. For any die off.
so very interesting. So I would assume you bring there temp up slowly ? Im guessing just tossing them in is not ideal..? much like acclamation of any other critter

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so very interesting. So I would assume you bring there temp up slowly ? Im guessing just tossing them in is not ideal..? much like acclamation of any other critter
Just aclimate like you would corals. Some may still spawn when acclimating, because of such a large difference in temperature.

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah my method of just chucking them in doesn’t seem to have been the best as they are all closed. One was open but for the most part they seem mad at me. Hey @Dr. Dendrostein is this common?? Do they eventually open up??? I have one small clam and he seems to be open all the time.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah my method of just chucking them in doesn’t seem to have been the best as they are all closed. One was open but for the most part they seem mad at me. Hey @Dr. Dendrostein is this common?? Do they eventually open up??? I have one small clam and he seems to be open all the time.
Yes, they will open off and on .

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back