Clams replacing refugium as a nutrient export

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Crevalle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you said you prefer pacific oysters but I’d assume I could do this with the local ones here in southwest Florida. Water temp shouldn’t be an issue since the water is quite warm here. They are easy to find and would just clean the muck off first. Seems like this would add good areas for pods also.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you said you prefer pacific oysters but I’d assume I could do this with the local ones here in southwest Florida. Water temp shouldn’t be an issue since the water is quite warm here. They are easy to find and would just clean the muck off first. Seems like this would add good areas for pods also.
Those are pretty close to acclimated for our closed system.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool tank! @Dr. Dendrostein. So far I have 10 oysters and none of them have died. I do notice some are open more often and some have are closed and rarely open. So far I haven't seen a drastic change in nutrients. Just an update. It is fun to experiment.
Nice,you will notice with time,no cyno, no brown algae or dino, you're aptasia will be low or none. I feed heavily, my aptasia does not blow out and grow. I have probably what came with the rock or the corals. Not noticeable at this time

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool tank! @Dr. Dendrostein. So far I have 10 oysters and none of them have died. I do notice some are open more often and some have are closed and rarely open. So far I haven't seen a drastic change in nutrients. Just an update. It is fun to experiment.
What's your water volume? Curious.....

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep me posted. Feeding, you'll have to figure out. If you have fish, left overs should be sufficient.
will do I feed pretty heavy. An Oyster was open and I spot fed it and I could see the reef roids being sucked into the oyster. They're cool and interesting. Im considering making pearls

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OYSTER SPAWNING

With regard to inducing oysters to spawn with temperature changes, the following quote is from the
MAY 30, 2019 BY MARINE-AQUACULTURE
Oyster Culture
page
(https://marine-aquaculture.extension.org/oyster-culture/#:~:text=Oyster%20reproduction%20is%20cued%20by,and%20hatch%20into%20swimming%20larvae.)

"Oyster reproduction is cued by temperature changes. When water temperatures change from cold to warm, this change triggers males to release sperm which in turn triggers females to release eggs. Fertilized eggs will float in the water column for ~24 hours and hatch into swimming larvae. The larvae are microscopic and will swim for approximately two weeks until they develop a foot and begin to crawl, searching for a location to set. Once an oyster sets in a location, it cannot move, so finding an ideal location is vital. Oyster larvae exhibit a preference to settle on and around where other oysters are located, creating reefs. This reef formation is based on water quality, current flows, and the availability of a suitable setting material, known as cultch."

RyanHoan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you guys know anything about Baja Oysters? It's the only type I can find locally in San Diego.

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you guys know anything about Baja Oysters? It's the only type I can find locally in San Diego.

I haven't heard of them, but I'd guess you're one step ahead of the rest of us because the name implies that they come from warmer Baja waters. I'd try them in a flash.

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So one of my clams shell has a dark spot on the bottom and it almost seems like the shell is disintegrating. Kinda odd, it's still alive though. Oddly enough it's the only one I had in the display tank on the sand.

RyanHoan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't heard of them, but I'd guess you're one step ahead of the rest of us because the name implies that they come from warmer Baja waters. I'd try them in a flash.

I found this. Would you still try it? Seems cold.

The Marks grow their oysters in the chilly waters off the Western shores of Mexico’s Baja Peninsula, where water temperatures range from 52 to 68 degrees. This is thanks to the California Current, which coaxes frigid waters down from Alaska and along the coasts of California and Baja, producing an ideal environment for Kumos. The water is cooler in summer than the Gulf of Mexico, but not so frigid in winter that oysters’ growth is slowed, which happens in California and Washington State.

RyanHoan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok ok I decided to pick up a dozen Kumamoto oysters raised in Baja. They were on ice, so I’m not sure how survival will go. I have them in quarantine and added lots of phytofeast. Tomorrow I’ll start slowly increasing the temperature.

6E459E85-21AF-4BE3-A941-99EB89ABFF76.jpeg

RyanHoan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They all survived the first 24 hours at 77 F.

they made good work of the phytofeast too. Note they’re on top of a wooded table, so you can’t really tell how much clearer the water is.

314343F1-2E89-4373-9687-AEDD17F53952.jpeg

There are also some aptasia on them! Yikes!
25DE6314-BBC8-4E32-9CFD-4C393B3D9551.jpeg

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Aiptasia are a real bummer - they'll be happy to eat anything the oysters will. Hope you're able to eliminate them 100% before putting the oysters in your system.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 37 31.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 27.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 41 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.2%
Back