Clams replacing refugium as a nutrient export

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Goeloe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting indeed. Also found a video, could be interesting
In the description saying a study in HK showing how oyster clean waters in 30- 40 minutes

Udest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just went back and read some of the thread I kept an oyster in a 5 gal nano for close to a year before it expired , I noticed you were keeping the temp on the higher end . I was keeping my nano around 72 * F don't know if that may help with survival rates.

Paheej

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a really bad butt thread and I will have to try this out (running a 55 gal softy/lps tank and I am constantly having GHA/whatever the red stuff on the sand is problems).

Udest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For your Gha i could suggest getting some Mexican Turbos they'll eat all that as for the cyano that growing on your sand you'll have to get your nutrients under control , perhaps some chemi pure will help with that.

One thing about chemipure is that it will strip nutrient out of the water rather quickly so keep an eye on it.

GeoSquid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I haven't done well on the oyster front. I've tried about 15 oysters so far, they are pacific farm raised, and the longest I've had one last is 2 months. They usually die in the first week. My tank is 180 gallons, it's been set up and running for 3 years and I keep it at 80 deg. I have two large ATS's running and an undersized DIY skimmer and refugium with Calerpa. I'm glad others are having good success with these, but I just can't seem to keep them alive. Good thing my two triggers have big appetites!

Goeloe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any1 any updates how the clams are doing? I have 10 Pacific in sump in a rsr250 mixed tank for 3 weeks. The corals are doing fine and the water is stable.

GeoSquid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My longest lasting one lived two months before it died. I gave up on trying to keep oysters in my reef. I buy them, freeze them and feed to my fish!

LacViet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here. I only have a few each time and they only last about 2 months or so. I have small oyster (about quarter coin) that was attached to the big one that bought from the market last about 4 months and able to see some growth. Unfortunately, my pistol shrimp pair stole it and brought inside their tunnel.

A2dahlberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here. I only have a few each time and they only last about 2 months or so. I have small oyster (about quarter coin) that was attached to the big one that bought from the market last about 4 months and able to see some growth. Unfortunately, my pistol shrimp pair stole it and brought inside their tunnel.
And they lived happily ever after, right?

flourishofmediocrity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to try it. I have a 50G lagoon tank that I'm gonna plumb to the same sump as a 200G peninsula. I want the 50 to be mainly clams, macro algaes, and softies. Maybe a couple reef safe fish or mandarin. 200G is gonna be the SPS/LPS barebottom with lots of fish.

atlantean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using macroalgae in the sump under a reverse lighting schedule can help reduce nightly Ph drops, which you can’t get from the clam/oyster approach.

Though Dr. Dendro has a point about them potentially adding food sources that corals can capture. For SPS, I’d lean towards the macro though unless you only want a few for the novelty.

Last edited:

iReefer12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How can you tell if the oyster is dead or alive?

These are in a 10 gallon quarantine tank, but some are wide open, some are partially open some are closed. What’s alive and what’s dead?

IMG_6553.jpeg

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's great you're going to try it, clams I would have gone with as assistance to filtration and of course that means exporting organic nutrients. The number one reason I went with Pacific oysters is they filter more water per day than any other mollusk. Trying to fine-tune it since 2017 at this time with oysters I usually go with one oyster for every three gallons of water( for nps system, SPS alot less). Also oysters produce pseudo feces which will feed the corals and when they spawn they will also feed corals. Some reasons why I went with oysters and these are the ones you can eat. But Pacific oysters can withstand water temperatures regularly up to 95° Fahrenheit. When you acclimate them in the first few weeks you will lose some oysters possibly. But just keep an eye on them. for the first few weeks I would put them in a plastic mesh bag like the video shows.

Where do you get these

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 32 55.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 8.6%
Back