Clams replacing refugium as a nutrient export

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where do you get said oysters?
Any Pacific oysters from Asian Markets or regular markets will do. Pacific oysters sold under different names. Read all my replys on this thread to avoid little lose. Have 84 in sump and 60 of them over 1 year old. Keep me posted. Thanks for comment

Photo from. Steve_eagle

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210208-191633.png
    Screenshot_20210208-191633.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 140

GeoSquid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been trying this and here's my update:

So far, I've put in 10 oysters. I acclimate them over a couple hours...about an hour sitting on the counter and then float them in a bag for a half hour and then slowly add tank water over another half hour. Out of the 10 I've added, so far 2 have survived. They were added in two different batches 5 at a time. I don't know if the two remaining are from the first batch or the second. They were added a couple weeks apart. Not sure why I'm having such a low success rate. I keep my tank around 79-80 deg. I have lot's of softies and a couple sps in a 180 gal. Over the weekend I got really busy and didn't check on the oysters for a couple days. Two of them died and started melting. All my leather closed up and my xenia puffed up really big and I got a good dusting of algae on the glass and a mini explosion of GHA and cyano on the rocks.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been trying this and here's my update:

So far, I've put in 10 oysters. I acclimate them over a couple hours...about an hour sitting on the counter and then float them in a bag for a half hour and then slowly add tank water over another half hour. Out of the 10 I've added, so far 2 have survived. They were added in two different batches 5 at a time. I don't know if the two remaining are from the first batch or the second. They were added a couple weeks apart. Not sure why I'm having such a low success rate. I keep my tank around 79-80 deg. I have lot's of softies and a couple sps in a 180 gal. Over the weekend I got really busy and didn't check on the oysters for a couple days. Two of them died and started melting. All my leather closed up and my xenia puffed up really big and I got a good dusting of algae on the glass and a mini explosion of GHA and cyano on the rocks.
Which type oysters. Curious

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been trying out some oysters too. Don't know exactly what kind other than Pacific Oysters according to the label at the seafood counter of the local Asian H-Mart. So far I just tried 3 in a 250 gallon system. I didn't do any drip acclimation. Just bought at the store where they were on ice, 10 minute car ride home, dropped into a bucket of tank water and left for an hour where they expelled whatever was in them and then two of them were placed into the tank and one in the sump. It's been about six months now and all are alive and feeding. It's funny how the things I treat rather brutally survive just fine.

GeoSquid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been trying out some oysters too. Don't know exactly what kind other than Pacific Oysters according to the label at the seafood counter of the local Asian H-Mart. So far I just tried 3 in a 250 gallon system. I didn't do any drip acclimation. Just bought at the store where they were on ice, 10 minute car ride home, dropped into a bucket of tank water and left for an hour where they expelled whatever was in them and then two of them were placed into the tank and one in the sump. It's been about six months now and all are alive and feeding. It's funny how the things I treat rather brutally survive just fine.
What temp do you keep your tank?

LacViet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I do and so far one out of one survive for over a month already in my 14gal nano reef. :)

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I do and so far one out of one survive for over a month already in my 14gal nano reef. :)
This one's over 3 months in 7.5 nano. Nano has 4 gallon sump. 5 more in sump.

Attachments

• IMG_20210226_155324662.jpg
    IMG_20210226_155324662.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 113

steven_d_blanshan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool they aren’t dead they just seem to be more closed than open
closely following!!!
My studies say pacific oysters take more nitrates and nitrites then they give, I currently have 2 small blue green chromis, 1 watchman goby, 1 turbo snail, 1 pacific oyster 4.5 inches with 2 barnacles and 3 young oysters attached to shell with 1 LB. of cultured live rock above 2 lbs. of crushed calcium carbonate substrate. I have used a bottle of live bacteria 2 nights ago up to 30 gallons; in a 3.5 gallon Pico tank in my RV and currently change and reuse water as a single gallon becomes unsafe or unsuitable for recycling after nitrogen cycle is controlled. I added my fresh live grocery store pacific oyster today immediately after received from the shipping company with all wanted and unwanted species attached, brushed all mud and detritus carefully from the shells/valves into my tank while preserving the spat and barnacles. After a short time I changed 1 gallon of water due to ammonia and nitrogen, and observed as the new life forms began to express and display. I also agitated the substrate to bury the native mud and micro-biome from the oyster into my Pico which was started less then a week ago. I fully expect my nitrogen cycle to complete within 3 more days using bottled denitrifying bacteria.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
closely following!!!
My studies say pacific oysters take more nitrates and nitrites then they give, I currently have 2 small blue green chromis, 1 watchman goby, 1 turbo snail, 1 pacific oyster 4.5 inches with 2 barnacles and 3 young oysters attached to shell with 1 LB. of cultured live rock above 2 lbs. of crushed calcium carbonate substrate. I have used a bottle of live bacteria 2 nights ago up to 30 gallons; in a 3.5 gallon Pico tank in my RV and currently change and reuse water as a single gallon becomes unsafe or unsuitable for recycling after nitrogen cycle is controlled. I added my fresh live grocery store pacific oyster today immediately after received from the shipping company with all wanted and unwanted species attached, brushed all mud and detritus carefully from the shells/valves into my tank while preserving the spat and barnacles. After a short time I changed 1 gallon of water due to ammonia and nitrogen, and observed as the new life forms began to express and display. I also agitated the substrate to bury the native mud and micro-biome from the oyster into my Pico which was started less then a week ago. I fully expect my nitrogen cycle to complete within 3 more days using bottled denitrifying bacteria.
Nice, keep us posted

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A site in the Keys had something called a pin tail scallop at 4-6 inches for sale for $12. Ok, that will go into my NPS tank, I thought. To my surprise, it was 6 inches across and almost a foot long. Luckily, I have room for it. So far, it is doing well, feeding on the same foods as the other NPS.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A site in the Keys had something called a pin tail scallop at 4-6 inches for sale for $12. Ok, that will go into my NPS tank, I thought. To my surprise, it was 6 inches across and almost a foot long. Luckily, I have room for it. So far, it is doing well, feeding on the same foods as the other NPS.
Any pictures? Nice

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is the monster, six inches across and a foot from tip to tip. Big enough for a meal IMG_1301.jpg
I picked some up , maybe 2 months ago. I think mine came from Baja. They are cold water. I think.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210410-134339.png
    Screenshot_20210410-134339.png
    720.4 KB · Views: 96

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 66 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.9%
Back