Clams showing up in tank?

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Umm...So I went to clean my skimmer sponge(outlet) the other day and noticed 2 or 3 small white clams. Does this mean something? Should I fix something? Or am I ok? They are white and about 1/4" wide. Tank is a almost 2 months old.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Agree on pics and take them under white lighting. Could be bi-valve, mollusk of some sort and even scallop

OP
OP
SaltwaterGuruNeeded

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the best I could do. It's really small. These pics are out of the tank...I just put it back in. There were 2 in the top just above the water in the corner on the silicone, right next to my job protein skimmer. Btw yes I took pic with my phone. Was a 1/4" from touching water lol.

Where it was.
IMG_20210806_221959188.jpg

Top View
IMG_20210806_222754398.jpg

Back View
IMG_20210806_222712433.jpg

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure looks like a little clam..
Could be from the sand? I have seen little clams like that in my dry sand. Maybe it's in the sand mix and they are just getting kicked up and into the flow and getting blown around? If they are closed tiny dead clams they could be a little buoyant if there is some trapped air in there.

OP
OP
SaltwaterGuruNeeded

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be from the sand? I have seen little clams like that in my dry sand. Maybe it's in the sand mix and they are just getting kicked up and into the flow and getting blown around?
Possible, but I can smell clam in the water. Had to remove carbon for meds.

OP
OP
SaltwaterGuruNeeded

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be from the sand? I have seen little clams like that in my dry sand. Maybe it's in the sand mix and they are just getting kicked up and into the flow and getting blown around? If they are closed tiny dead clams they could be a little buoyant if there is some trapped air in there.
Yeah maybe, haven't seen any for 2 months, which seems unlikely that it's from the sand, but it's definitely something to consider as an answer.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some of those tiny white clams in my tank too. I find them in my sump and in my sand bed occasionally. Mine came in as hitchhikers a few years ago in a batch of snails from reef cleaners. They stay small and are harmless unless they get sucked into a pump.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back