Clarisea issues

natgun1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I've been running the clarisea 5000 since March and loved it until the last roll change. I recently bought the new bigger replacement roll from brs, and since the change every time the roll gets dirty enough to trigger the motor to engage it just won't budge. If I manually pull the paper so that the paper is clean the motor will spin. I completely took it apart cleaned everything put it back together and, once again as long as the paper is clean it will roll, its like the motor doesn't have enough a** to pull the larger roll when its dirty. Anyone else having this problem. This is my 4th roll that I have changed but the first time I've used this larger roll any input would be greatly appreciated thanks

marinelife

SaltGeek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having the same issue. Mine started once the XL roll was 75% used. Even when I removed all the dirty fleece it still does it. I am currently working with support on this issue. I am going to link them to this thread!

Tony@D-D

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI, Next time you remove the dirty roll remove the motor and check that the driver screw holding the cruciform is in place and the set screw is tight and in position againt the drive shaft dimple. If the screw has backed out the cruciform drive peg may slip on the motor drive shaft under torque.

drive peg 2.jpeg

drive peg 1.jpeg

marinelife

SaltGeek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I've been running the clarisea 5000 since March and loved it until the last roll change. I recently bought the new bigger replacement roll from brs, and since the change every time the roll gets dirty enough to trigger the motor to engage it just won't budge. If I manually pull the paper so that the paper is clean the motor will spin. I completely took it apart cleaned everything put it back together and, once again as long as the paper is clean it will roll, its like the motor doesn't have enough a** to pull the larger roll when its dirty. Anyone else having this problem. This is my 4th roll that I have changed but the first time I've used this larger roll any input would be greatly appreciated thanks

Did you ever find the fix for this issue?
I ended up needing a new set screw for the mine. I have found that I have to change the screw each time I change the roll. I do this because the screw starts to bend and will usually break after a roll and a half.
Not sure if this is only because of it being an XL roll. I have ordered the smaller rolls from a few places but have been receiving the XL roll instead, not sure the deal there.
My rolls get super dirty and even the XL only lasts me 3 weeks plus I have to unroll them to get them off the unit, they are so tight I can not pull them off like I should be able to. I have changed the flow, raised and lowered the unit with nothing helping. I think it just can not handle a dirtier tank.

OP
OP
N

natgun1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was contacted by DD and they sent me a new cruciform and screw, my screw was also bent or crooked, plus the cruciform was stripped. So far so good. My roll gets so tight that I have to unroll it or try and cut it up with a razor blade.
I watch all these videos of people just sliding the roll off but not mine. I do love this product but there are some flaws, or
maybe its user error but this thing isn't rocket science so who knows. Hope you can get it figured out, if the screw keeps
bending then maybe the whole cruciform needs to be replaced.

marinelife

SaltGeek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The motor housing is about the only thing I have not had replaced trying to fix the issue.
Does your motor screws for the rubber wheels unscrew?

It is a good unit they just need to fine-tune it some I think with some parts being made differently

alexg5085

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi are you guys still having trouble.
my 5000 is doing exactly the same the fleece is so tight the motor won’t budge.
The first roll seemed to work ok, but i have had trouble ever since. as above i have taken it apart and cleaned numerous times. now starting to get fed up.
not sure why the fleece is so hard to pull.
i have emailed D-D a couple of times but no reply.
want my money back.

marinelife

SaltGeek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have talked to DD a few times and they are not sure what the issue is. I have changed almost everything on the unit to try and fix it. All that is left is the box itself to change out. At this time I just work with it since it has helped my tank. I would love to see a wider unit to handle dirtier tanks. Currently, I am only getting 3 weeks out of the XL roll. I change the roll and screw every 3 weeks.
I just have alot of large fish and would love a unit that could handle it

MoReefSafe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi are you guys still having trouble.
my 5000 is doing exactly the same the fleece is so tight the motor won’t budge.
The first roll seemed to work ok, but i have had trouble ever since. as above i have taken it apart and cleaned numerous times. now starting to get fed up.
not sure why the fleece is so hard to pull.
i have emailed D-D a couple of times but no reply.
want my money back.

This is my experience exactly. Has D-D provided any resolution?

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not own one of these but clearly it sounds like a friction issue with the larger rolls.
I am an electrician and I equate this to pulling wire.
We use several sizes of spools, 500, 1000, and 2500 foot rolls.
The energy required for each exponentially rises with the diameter of the spool. Just physics in action here.
Not to mention the added weight.
If the larger diameter roll does not feed straight down into the channel like the smaller roll does well this will add a lot of friction, having to be dragged over the top edge of the channel.
Try it out and pull the filter material by hand with a standard roll and then a XL roll.
You may find it requires a lot more energy or force to pull the larger roll through.

Could be several more reasons for this.

Could the XL roll be slightly wider?
Is it possible the material is a bit stiffer?
Is it possible that the material is different and not as slick?

One thing that has not been mentioned is the motor still running?
With bent screws as stated will the shaft continually rotate?

Do any of you have a NEW standard roll and a New XL roll to do some tests?
Compare the widths. It would be best to use a dial caliper Vs a tape measure on new rolls.
A few thousandths will matter, and that cant be seen using a tape measure.
Do the pull by hand test for comparison.

lakai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Issue I have is the paper core of the roll getting wet and falling apart or deforming the roll making it unable to unwind easily

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Issue I have is the paper core of the roll getting wet and falling apart or deforming the roll making it unable to unwind easily

That makes sense.

Would it be possible to coat the paper core with a water sealer like Thompson's or Olympia when you get a new roll. Allow it to dry before use of course? Once dry it would become inert.

I use water sealers like these on every wood surface around my tank and sump.
Can spill or drip on the minimal amount of particle board and melamine I used in the past never swelled or deteriorated ever.
The plywood surfaces I have in use the saltwater beads up and runs off, and easy to clean up.

RSnodgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mainly following along but I'll share a few things in the meantime.

I've been running my sk5000 without issue since August 2018... currently on my second large roll. Initially replaced that piece you are all talking about in 2018.

Here are some observations I've shared with our Minnesota club during that time.

To remove the used fleece you just put a large pcv pipe into the open end of the motor so as to avoid hitting the motor screw, I prefer a 1.25-1.5" pipe, then pull. Slightly easier if you lube the motor housing under the sleeve. I've never had the cardboard tube get wet though.

I've also tested several different brands of paper, including those I sourced on my own from different manufacturers, to test and find a cheaper option... which I did with a catch.

Keep in mind I run a 1" pipe on full siphon from a 5'6" drop which is more flow then many run through a sump these days. I also have a stocked 300gal tank with 4 feedings a day and coral feeding nightly for a waste reference. There are two other drains that bypass the unit and go directly to the sump.

Aquamaxx worked the best as an alternative, modification suggested to unit for smoother feeding through it, and you'd need a high flow as well as a higher volume of waste than me BECAUSE the paper on average spent ~2.5 days submerged (officially breaking down/releasing organics at that point) where the ClariSea brand was only 18hrs submerged. Anything longer than 2 days polishes water but doesn't prevent the breaking down of organics.

I went back to the ClariSea 5000 paper because avoiding waste breaking down was more valuable. A smaller, lower flow, or lighter stocked tank would have an even greater incentive to use the original paper.

Side observation is my skimmer is now greatly oversized and a giant glorified air stone due to the effectiveness of the paper. My snails also keep spawning but I don't get babies since running fleece. I've considered going without paper between rolls for a couple weeks at a time to boost other life or at least bypass the ClariSea for a day if I see spawning.

marinelife

SaltGeek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mainly following along but I'll share a few things in the meantime.

I've been running my sk5000 without issue since August 2018... currently on my second large roll. Initially replaced that piece you are all talking about in 2018.

Here are some observations I've shared with our Minnesota club during that time.

To remove the used fleece you just put a large pcv pipe into the open end of the motor so as to avoid hitting the motor screw, I prefer a 1.25-1.5" pipe, then pull. Slightly easier if you lube the motor housing under the sleeve. I've never had the cardboard tube get wet though.

I've also tested several different brands of paper, including those I sourced on my own from different manufacturers, to test and find a cheaper option... which I did with a catch.

Keep in mind I run a 1" pipe on full siphon from a 5'6" drop which is more flow then many run through a sump these days. I also have a stocked 300gal tank with 4 feedings a day and coral feeding nightly for a waste reference. There are two other drains that bypass the unit and go directly to the sump.

Aquamaxx worked the best as an alternative, modification suggested to unit for smoother feeding through it, and you'd need a high flow as well as a higher volume of waste than me BECAUSE the paper on average spent ~2.5 days submerged (officially breaking down/releasing organics at that point) where the ClariSea brand was only 18hrs submerged. Anything longer than 2 days polishes water but doesn't prevent the breaking down of organics.

I went back to the ClariSea 5000 paper because avoiding waste breaking down was more valuable. A smaller, lower flow, or lighter stocked tank would have an even greater incentive to use the original paper.

Side observation is my skimmer is now greatly oversized and a giant glorified air stone due to the effectiveness of the paper. My snails also keep spawning but I don't get babies since running fleece. I've considered going without paper between rolls for a couple weeks at a time to boost other life or at least bypass the ClariSea for a day if I see spawning.

I would love to know how you get a roll to last so long, I have to replace the XL Roll on my 375 every 3 weeks. how brown does your get?

Ricky_Reef

Diamond Goby Lover/Hater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my 5000 after 6 weeks with an XL fleece roll. D&D Aquatics sent me a slip over spacer that goes on one of the long nylon studs that hold the housing together. After installing it the fleece rolls now wind straight and even with no kinks and the roll last much longer now. Contact D&D and they will send you the spacer with instructions, that is what you need for the new XL fleece rolls if your having issues. They sent it to me free of charge and excellent customer service!

20200326_193713.jpg

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 100 43.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 77 33.8%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 37 16.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back