Classic SPS and Colonies show off thread and stocking advice

Michael White

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright! Who here loves frags but misses those great colony shots of old school SPS corals? I’m talking Paletta Pink tip colonies, pink lemonade colonies, big red scrolling montis, etc. I like how the frag culture has made so many corals more available, but I think we miss out on the shapes of mature or semi-mature colonies and are focusinf too much on the macro shots of exotic colored acro tenuis and others which just look washed out, and some even brown when more than a few feet from the tank. So what are your favorites? Planning the stocking list for my 210 reef and would love to see people’s colony photos. Looking for sps which look nice from a distance, but have some nice details that pop when viewed up close. Basically going to let the community pick my stock list, since I like almost all coral and just want a variety if colors, textures, and growth forms.

stephj03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is kind of a weird question to me. There's nothing stopping you from growing out colonies from frags of the newer/hotter pieces. I actually think some of the tenuis like HW and SCOP look great in colony form even under MH/T5 dominant lighting. I do agree that there are a lot of non-tenuis that should be strongly considered for any tank.

Potential list:
Oregon Tort
OG Purple Monster
OG Pink Panther
Tyree pink polyp cap
Tyree Flower petal cap
RR Firecracker
RR pink cadillac
$500/GC ultimate Efflo
Beach bum monti
Rainbow monti
UC Strawberry shortcake
Tanzanite Terror
Fox Flame
Hawkins Echinata
PC Rainbow
PC Superman

OP
OP
Michael White

Michael White

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is kind of a weird question to me. There's nothing stopping you from growing out colonies from frags of the newer/hotter pieces. I actually think some of the tenuis like HW and SCOP look great in colony form even under MH/T5 dominant lighting. I do agree that there are a lot of non-tenuis that should be strongly considered for any tank.

Potential list:
Oregon Tort
OG Purple Monster
OG Pink Panther
Tyree pink polyp cap
Tyree Flower petal cap
RR Firecracker
RR pink cadillac
$500/GC ultimate Efflo
Beach bum monti
Rainbow monti
UC Strawberry shortcake
Tanzanite Terror
Fox Flame
Hawkins Echinata
PC Rainbow
PC Superman
Thanks for getting this started! I totally agree, no reason you can’t grow out the current tenuis types currently popular. I should clarify, that I meant some colonies as a frag may not be the most show stopping, but as a colony are jaw droppers. I feel that way about the Paletta pink tip acro. As a frag, kind of so-so, but stunning as a colony from what I have seen.

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
P3180049.JPG
P3180054.JPG
P3180065.JPG
P3180077.JPG
P3180062.JPG

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rainbow Monti. Been trying to kill it back. This thing seriously spreads like lava. Pink caddy is about 6-7” and plating. Plus various stags All are over a foot tall with the addition of a 10” red dragon colony. Also have a PC rainbow that was fragged down by about 75% backdropped by a tricolor stag and 14” Spongodes.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

OP
OP
Michael White

Michael White

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rainbow Monti. Been trying to kill it back. This thing seriously spreads like lava. Pink caddy is about 6-7” and plating. Plus various stags All are over a foot tall with the addition of a 10” red dragon colony. Also have a PC rainbow that was fragged down by about 75% backdropped by a tricolor stag and 14” Spongodes.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
Not to get off topic, but is that a clown tang in your second photo?

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Alright! Who here loves frags but misses those great colony shots of old school SPS corals? I’m talking Paletta Pink tip colonies, pink lemonade colonies, big red scrolling montis, etc. I like how the frag culture has made so many corals more available, but I think we miss out on the shapes of mature or semi-mature colonies and are focusinf too much on the macro shots of exotic colored acro tenuis and others which just look washed out, and some even brown when more than a few feet from the tank. So what are your favorites? Planning the stocking list for my 210 reef and would love to see people’s colony photos. Looking for sps which look nice from a distance, but have some nice details that pop when viewed up close. Basically going to let the community pick my stock list, since I like almost all coral and just want a variety if colors, textures, and growth forms.

Same here. I am looking at doing my 120 with mostly classic corals. I want corals that actually have color under whiter light and I can actually see my tank without orange glasses and see the real colors of my fish.

Some them I want probably are not around anymore like the Larry Jackson purple monster. This is one of the first classics if not the first.

OP
OP
Michael White

Michael White

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here. I am looking at doing my 120 with mostly classic corals. I want corals that actually have color under whiter light and I can actually see my tank without orange glasses and see the real colors of my fish.

Some them I want probably are not around anymore like the Larry Jackson purple monster. This is one of the first classics if not the first.
I agree that too much blue can be overwhelming for extended viewing. I prefer my lighting a little whiter than the standard sps ab+ that is popular now, but still a little blue-ish with a short blue cycle “sunrise” and “sunset”. Just more appealing to my eyes.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back