Clean up crew

MarineDan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

So.. My tank has finally finished the cycle.. I now have algae growing over my sand and rocks so this morning I tested my water..

PH - 8.2 - 8.4
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 5ppm

I took a sample to my LFS, the guy tested it, had the same readings and told me I am ready to add some clean up crew..
I have purchased a few Turbo Snails, a few Red Hermet Crabs and an Emerald Crab..
My question is (apologies if its a stupid question but being new to this hobby I am always going to be nervous/worried)
How comes everything but 1 turbo snail is moving?
My emerald crab has ran to the nearest hiding spot and buried itself under it with sand, all of my hermet crabs haven't moved since I put them in there and all but 1 turbo snails have just stayed together and have barely moved..
Is it just because it is new to them or is there a problem??
As I said the water has been tested twice and is fine and the temperature is correct.

Thanks guys :)

8f55b6a73a82c6f14d0ba03bb05c802d.jpg
1858a4174059dda3514a51b5dd175c56.jpg
24f019559c8ea60762a5698ee72aebe8.jpg
bab753a49b35b1a20a232fb7c6a18a36.jpg

DalPal25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. I've had the same "problem" but I'm not even sure if it's a problem, might just be how they are! I've definitely asked myself this question numerous times in the past 2 weeks since I've gotten my clean up crew. Sorry I can't help but at the very least, feel comfort in knowing you're not the only one :)

OP
OP
MarineDan

MarineDan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. I've had the same "problem" but I'm not even sure if it's a problem, might just be how they are! I've definitely asked myself this question numerous times in the past 2 weeks since I've gotten my clean up crew. Sorry I can't help but at the very least, feel comfort in knowing you're not the only one :)
Hi @DalPal25 I just phoned my LFS and he told me not to worry! They will move in their own time, some are different to others. He said mine have gone into slight shock and told me to phone him in the morning and he can guarantee they will be moving around by then so we will test the theory.. Also reading about it, they are more active at night apparently.. But fingers crossed :)

Nihilus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you acclimate the snails/crabs to the tank before you dumped them in? They'll probably be mobile in time, but if they continue to stay put you might want to pick them up and give them a good whiff. If they're dead you'll know it. GL.

OP
OP
MarineDan

MarineDan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you acclimate the snails/crabs to the tank before you dumped them in? They'll probably be mobile in time, but if they continue to stay put you might want to pick them up and give them a good whiff. If they're dead you'll know it. GL.
Hi Nihilus,

No when i purchased them I asked the guy this and he said I don't have to do this, himself and the owner both told me that they don't do it themselves at home or in their shop.. I phoned him whilst at home and explained and he said there is nothing to worry about.. Funnily enough they are all moving now and doing the job. My emerald crab seems to be in his glory as he is currently cleaning my live rock and the rest are moving about perfectly. All I did was place the bags into my tank for 20 minutes as advised to do so, they all started off still but are all now cleaning up! :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back