0   0   0
I have 50 blue legged hermits.
15 scarletts
8 turbos
10 trochus
1 sand sifting star
10 NAssirus snails
All for a 75 gallon

I'm thinking of getting some red legged hermits do they both corals? Also whats the best for turning over the sand

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats a lot of hermits lol
Hermit crabs are meat eaters and opportunistic feeders. They will eat leftover food (frozen or pellet) but they dont eat algae or detritus.
While most wont experience hermits munching on coral, its definitely a possibility. Also, to keep your hermits from killing your trochus snails for their shells, toss in a handfull of empty shells that they can grow into. In my opinion, the scarlet hermits are the "most" reef safe. Ive had scarlets and red legs without any problems before.
Same for nass snails...theyre exclusively meat eaters-but they stir the sand as well so thats good
Is your tank new?
Reason being: If your tank doesnt have any algae/very little (things for your clean up crew to eat), they will die. Just be wary of that.

8 turbos seems like a heck of a lot (not even looking at the rest of your snails)
personally, I love the bigger brittle stars (sand sifters) I have one in my 25 gal and its perfect.

rvamarcel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hermit crabs are meat eaters and opportunistic feeders. They will eat leftover food (frozen or pellet) but they dont eat algae or detritus.
While most wont experience hermits munching on coral, its definitely a possibility. Also, to keep your hermits from killing your trochus snails for their shells, toss in a handfull of empty shells that they can grow into. In my opinion, the scarlet hermits are the "most" reef safe. Ive had scarlets and red legs without any problems before.
Same for nass snails...theyre exclusively meat eaters-but they stir the sand as well so thats good
Is your tank new?
Reason being: If your tank doesnt have any algae/very little (things for your clean up crew to eat), they will die. Just be wary of that.

8 turbos seems like a heck of a lot (not even looking at the rest of your snails)
personally, I love the bigger brittle stars (sand sifters) I have one in my 25 gal and its perfect.

In your opinion, what's the best algae eating, sand polishing creature? Is there anything that would go like a submarine lawn mower munching the algae on the sand?

Sorry for the thread hijack...

OP
OP
Brandonsegula

Brandonsegula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your tank new?

My sand bed has cyano so the clean up crew I'm having right now isn't covering what food falls in my sand bed. Brittle stars scare me because they can eat small and slow moving fish.

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sand bed has cyano so the clean up crew I'm having right now isn't covering what food falls in my sand bed. Brittle stars scare me because they can eat small and slow moving fish.
brittle stars (the actual ones) dont do that.
And no one is going to touch cyano out of that group. CUC dont clean cyano, its a bacteria that needs to be manually or chemically removed.
as far as all the extra food, just dont feed as much. I feed a little then wait for them to eat. Repeat until I see them slow down.

amino

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also i saw hermits can attack fish for saving territory , u will definitely will hate them soon so get ride of them 1 or 2 is perfect.

Back