Cleaning pests from corals

kentofms

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To what extent would you clean and quarantine corals coming from a tank with aiptasia, bubble and other nuisance algae, and other hitchhikers.

My approach would be to clean the tank of pests as much as possible and make sure the corals themselves were free of pests. Then I would move to a quarantine tank for monitoring. I was considering a secondary cleaning and quarantine just in case any pests show up in the quarantine tank.

If the quarantine tank gets aiptasia or flatworms, nudis, algae, etc. what would you do? Move to a new quarantine tank, sterilize the old one , clean the corals, and move them back for a tertiary quarantine is what I would do.

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty safe to say the nuisances you mention reside in most systems at some point or another. Not many people out there actively qt corals but kudos to those that do. Sounds like a fine plan to me if your going to qt. Fwe is the best for dipping or Bayer. I buy mostly shrooms and zoas these days so I prefer fwe as it gets those and nudis (just not eggs). For sps I use Bayer.

OP
OP
kentofms

kentofms

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to dip in Bayer and scrub with a toothbrush. But first I’m going to hit all visible anemones with aiptasia x and then back to back with vinegar injection to do a preliminary clear out. All algae will be scraped off if I can do it and I’ll be removing the acropora from their bases if possible.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 43 42.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 21.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back