Cleaning SW and FW Bins

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there's buildup in my SW holding tank, or even my FW one for that matter after long use.

How should I clean these? Citric acid? Someone told me bleach but Im terrified that even if I rinse it some will remain and will hurt the tank.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bleach is chlorine and it dissolves easily and evaporates in a day or two at most. Don't be afraid of bleach. Vinegar also works.

OP
OP
L

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I let it dry in the sun, some people specifically say to let things dry in the sun, especially with new bins, why is this?

Indytraveler83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If buildup is the problem, vinegar will be far more effective in removing deposits. Bleach will disinfect, but isn't always the best for deposits, especially if your trying to remove the calcium buildup that gets all over.

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone correct me if I am wrong but... you shouldn't have any build up in your RO storage container that could be an issue.

As for the SW tank you can use vinegar or citric acid.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just use freshwater and scrubby pad with no issue...comes right off. You may have to go with vinegar or bleach but try grease first...elbow grease. :)

And yeah...if you have deposits in your FW storage...you have some issue. Storing too long perhaps and getting algae or bacteria? If it's a slick bacteria film you may have to go bleach. Very light though..1:10 or something. You just need to kill it, not spend the next two weeks rinsing it out. If it' just hard water deposits, might need to up your RODI unit.

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To add more information.. do you store it in a cold/warm environment? constant light? no light?

If the room is exposed to higher temperatures and constant exposure to light you could have growth of algae. I would advise maybe wrapping the barrel / bin with some thicker plastic that will stop and light from reaching the water.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there's buildup in my SW holding tank, or even my FW one for that matter after long use.

How should I clean these? Citric acid? Someone told me bleach but Im terrified that even if I rinse it some will remain and will hurt the tank.

I don’t think cleaning them is necessary (I just let the calcium carbonate accumulate) but vinegar, diluted muriatic acid,or citric acid all will work.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just use freshwater and scrubby pad with no issue...comes right off. You may have to go with vinegar or bleach but try grease first...elbow grease. :)

And yeah...if you have deposits in your FW storage...you have some issue. Storing too long perhaps and getting algae or bacteria? If it's a slick bacteria film you may have to go bleach. Very light though..1:10 or something. You just need to kill it, not spend the next two weeks rinsing it out. If it' just hard water deposits, might need to up your RODI unit.

why do you want to remove bacteria growing in the fresh water?

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why do you want to remove bacteria growing in the fresh water?
I don't need to remove bacteria as I think that's impossible even if it were a goal on stored water. I meant only if the poster had some thick unsightly film on the bottom/sides of tank...bacterial or otherwise. Seen some pretty nasty stuff growing in water bins (not mine of course). :)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back