Clear Sand-Tube Worms

Siege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings!

So I am fairly new to salt water aquaria -- I kept a planted freshwater for a few years -- and things are going pretty well so far. A short time ago though I discovered a few new "guests" in my tank. They look to be small tendrils/worms encased in sand tubes, which based on a bit of quick googling might be spionid worms based on appearance alone. However, I'm not entirely sure, and if I need to introduce a predator/cut back on feeding or the like I'd as soon know now before this becomes a plague or somesuch, or if they're harmless. Or both, you know.

So, any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

20170118_212234_zpsfu7rfz2c.jpg

20170118_212319_zps0mjhecnp.jpg

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the tubes look to be old skeletons of worms or fans. the little tentacles you see coming out of the sand are most likely spaghetti worms (good guys). (or a bleached aiptasia-I cant make out a mouth lol)

OP
OP
S

Siege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help! I suppose my engineer's excavations might have something to do with part of that too...

Yeah, I stared at them for a while. Didn't see any mouths, just clear worms/tentacles. Glad to hear they are probably good guys!

Rob Lion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they are good guys and alive!, wait a few days, they will send strings out to taste substrate and drag it back to them, they will cover themselves in substrate again soon :)

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how do i get rid of them they have taken over the sand in my tank
The community is in the process of trying to figure that out, but it's a work in progress at the moment:

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.9%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 89 49.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 55 30.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.8%
Back