ClearView Aquarium Lids Master Thread - It all started RIGHT HERE!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got my Artfully Acrylic lid and it's another perfect fit!
Lid.jpg

OP
OP
ArtFully Acrylic

ArtFully Acrylic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sent an email a few days ago, can you provide me with an update on my order? Thanks!

Hi Dugless, your order was placed on Jan 9 so you are getting close. Quite a few variables go into when a lid is able to be scheduled for cutting as we play what is probably the biggest game of large format Tetris as we nest each sheet as efficiently as possible. This is largely why the quoted lead time has a stated range of up to 6 weeks.

There is some further information we need from you to help ensure your lid has the most optimal fit. We've sent you an email with details on what we need. Have a great weekend!

OP
OP
ArtFully Acrylic

ArtFully Acrylic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got my Artfully Acrylic lid and it's another perfect fit!
Lid.jpg

Looks great James!! Thanks so much for sharing!!

Looking back on our files I see that not only is this "another perfect fit", but is in fact your FOURTH ClearView Lid. Then seeing that your first order was placed less than 2 weeks after we officially launched ClearView Lids in March 2016...well my friend...that icing on the cake simply made my night. Big thanks for being such a dedicated ClearView customer.

OP
OP
ArtFully Acrylic

ArtFully Acrylic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a curiosity even tho I placed my order last month.. any idea???

Hi Sobo, your order was placed on Jan 16 so being only 2 weeks in you are progressing in queue, but still too early to establish/give an accurate estimate beyond that. Your order does state that you need custom cutouts, but no notes were included on this at time of order. Please submit info/dims related to this request by sending us an email in REPLY to the Order Confirmation Email you received after placing your order. This helps us keep things organized and as efficient as possible. Thanks.

Leyth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yay, I received my lid. It's not quite a perfect fit though. I can get it on properly, but I have to wedge it in there and then it's pushing really hard against the outer glass panels. What's the best way to file it down? It just needs like 1mm or less even.

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Sobo, your order was placed on Jan 16 so being only 2 weeks in you are progressing in queue, but still too early to establish/give an accurate estimate beyond that. Your order does state that you need custom cutouts, but no notes were included on this at time of order. Please submit info/dims related to this request by sending us an email in REPLY to the Order Confirmation Email you received after placing your order. This helps us keep things organized and as efficient as possible. Thanks.

I had a whole email conversation with someone that worked there about everything I needed. You guys don’t have it? I even sent pictures along with the order

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Yay, I received my lid. It's not quite a perfect fit though. I can get it on properly, but I have to wedge it in there and then it's pushing really hard against the outer glass panels. What's the best way to file it down? It just needs like 1mm or less even.
If it were me, I would probably try a flapper bit with my dremel.

OP
OP
ArtFully Acrylic

ArtFully Acrylic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You have a Reefer 350 which is a super popular and well vetted lid with us. It measures right at 46.5" in length which has been an unchanged parameter. It is indeed possible that your tank has a little more variance than is typical for Red Sea. You can measure the internal length to confirm. Measure it front and back to see if the panels are a bit out of square since the problem seems to exist just in the front. The next thing I'd check is if you have excess silicone in the corners that is hanging you up.

Finn gave you a good suggestion here. You certainly won't want to use a router or any handheld tool...Polycarbonate looks like acrylic, but is far far different. It's considered a 'soft' plastic where acrylic is a 'hard' plastic. It can be quite grabby when not well restrained. Protect your lid surface with clean towels and clamp it/weigh it down to immobilize it while you shave the little you are looking for. 1mm or less shouldn't give you much issue at all. Just take your time so as to preserve the beauty of that lid! ;)

Send us some pics via email to [email protected] showing where the 'snag' is if you need more assistance and we will see what we need to do to get you squared away.

If it were me, I would probably try a flapper bit with my dremel.

Thanks for ongoing help Finn!! You rock. Hope you have a great weekend.

OP
OP
ArtFully Acrylic

ArtFully Acrylic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah nice, yea that looks like it would work. I need to buy a new dremel anyways.

A larger flapper designed to go in a drill will work better than the small ones they make for dremels if you find it available. Particulary with 'soft' plastics they will be sensitive to high levels of heat from rapid rotation and small diameter that you would get with the dremel. With as little as you need to take off, I'd personally opt for manually wet sanding it with a sanding block of 220 grit before I'd go the dremel route. Ideally, you want rpm to be no higher than 15k rpms, but even lower is even better, and not something a dremel is usually capable of throttling down to.

OP
OP
ArtFully Acrylic

ArtFully Acrylic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apx,....what would a lid for a 125g glass cost ?

Depends if you need one lid or two for your setup. Measure the tank opening and input the measurements into the handy custom lid calculator on our website and it will tell you the appropriate category of custom lid you would need to select. Thanks!

OP
OP
ArtFully Acrylic

ArtFully Acrylic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New Lid...with it's own new thread. Don't want those only subscribed to this thread to miss out so dropping a quick snippit/shout here.

Check it out here:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/a...rence-is-clear-and-the-answer-is-here.356662/

ArtFully Acrylic & ClearView Manufacturing is proud to finally unveil the
ClearView TSUNAMI Aquarium Lid
It very well may be the last fish saving tank topper you ever buy.
It's Modular. It's Future Proof. It's PATENT PENDING.

OP
OP
ArtFully Acrylic

ArtFully Acrylic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a whole email conversation with someone that worked there about everything I needed. You guys don’t have it? I even sent pictures along with the order

I found the email chain from before your order was placed so we have all that we need. Thanks!

Leyth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A larger flapper designed to go in a drill will work better than the small ones they make for dremels if you find it available. Particulary with 'soft' plastics they will be sensitive to high levels of heat from rapid rotation and small diameter that you would get with the dremel. With as little as you need to take off, I'd personally opt for manually wet sanding it with a sanding block of 220 grit before I'd go the dremel route. Ideally, you want rpm to be no higher than 15k rpms, but even lower is even better, and not something a dremel is usually capable of throttling down to.

Gotcha, Ok I will go that direction instead. Thanks

Leyth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not gonna lie, fitment is pretty awful with this lid. The feed door is going to need to be sanded down as well. I can get the lid without the feed door installed but it’s very snug and ends up pushing the outer glass panels outward about 1 mm(look at the pictures below). That’s a lot of added pressure being pressed on the glass and silicone which effects the integrity of the tank over time. On top of that the gaps around the overflow are not even. One side touches the overflow and one side has a large gap(look at the picture below). I measured the tank and it matches the dimensions on red seas website so I don’t think it’s due to my tank. I’m pretty disappointed in my purchase.

Lid installed:
IMG_1542.jpg

Lid off:
IMG_1543.jpg

Overflow:
IMG_1539.jpg

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 98 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back