ClearWater CW-50 Installation Reefer 250

chinw76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have decided to by a Clearwater CW-50 from bulk reef supply on Black Friday with a new skimmer. I have spent some time trying to figure out how to mount this in my sump for the Red Sea Reefer 250. I believe I came up with a great way. There is not much information about this on youtube or the internet. First I installed my new skimmer to see what room I had left over.

I found the space between the left side of the sump and the wall is about an 1.5 inches. This is the thickness of the common 2x4. I cut 2 pieces of 2x4 to 14 inches, this puts it to the top of the glass of the sump. I then screwed the 2 pieces of 2x4 together to hold them together.
20181128_123100.jpg

Then I measured the base of the algae scrubber and cut a piece of 1/2" plywood to 7x8 inches. I then screwed the plywood to the top of the 2x4. The width of the 2x4 is 7 inches.
20181129_102322.jpg

Now it was time to paint my shelf that I made for the scrubber. I bought a quart of black semi-gloss paint it to match the cabinet and protect the wood from saltwater. I then installed the drains on the scrubber. Turn the bulk heads around so the threads are on the outside of the scrubber. I got some 1/2" schedule 40 pvc pipe and 90 degree elbows. Do not get grey schedule 80 pvc, this is thicker pipe which means the inside diameter of the pipe is less, thus less water will flow out of the scrubber. On the bottom drain, I put the pipe barely into the water, but there was a noise from the drain with lots of bubbles. To solve this, I put a 90 degree elbow at the bottom of the pipe and turn the pipe so the 90 degree elbow is near the top of the water. Do not use any glue to put the pipe together, there is not enough pressure to cause any leaks. You will then be able to take it apart and clean the pipe.
20181129_210213.jpg

Now its time to hook up the water to the pump. I use a MJ 1200 pump, it has a flow rate of 295 gallons per hour. This scrubber requires 150-200 gallons per hour. I use a 1/2 ball valve, 1/2 silicone tubing, stem adapter 1/2" tube x hose stem, 1/2" x 1/2" straight union push connect to supply water to the scrubber. I got all this from Bulk Reef Supply.

Ball Valve - https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/two-little-fishies-ball-valve-1-486d016ed2f8a1de28c4b664be01f35f.html

1/2" Stem Adapter - https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/mur-lok-stem-adapter-tube-x-hose-stem.html

1/2" x 1/2" push connect - https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/mur-lok-ro-straight-union-push-connect.html

MJ 1200 Pump - https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/cobalt-mj1200-powerhead.html
20181203_052913.jpg

This all works good, but I wanted to make sure that the whole screen is covered by water. If I increase the flow, then I get gurgling noise because not enough water can flow from the drain pipe. I wanted to increase this, so I went to 3/4" pipe. That will not fit the 1/2" bulk head, but you can get a 3/4" 90 degree elbow and it will slip over the threads of the bulk head and make a good seal. I made a new pipe assembly like the 1/2" above. Now I able to tune more water going over the screen. You will hear a little noise of the water going through the drain pipe, this is ok. With the doors closed on the stand, you will not hear this. This is way quieter than running bio pellets like I was before.
20181203_065729.jpg

I do recommend getting the light covers from Bulk Reef Supply for the scrubber.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/algae-scrubber-light-shield-set-clear-water.html

Now that I have the drain pipes configured, I ordered some red pvc pipe to match my skimmer. I wanted to fit a small reactor to run carbon or gfo or both. There is not much space left. But I found a way to make it work. The reactor was were the scrubber was before. I will need to run gfo for now till the scrubber kicks in.
20181203_053150.jpg

There is not really any room to run a supply line going to the reactor due to the shelf being in way. Under the shelf for the scrubber I have another MJ1200 pump to feed the reactor. I did order more parts and silicon tubing to plumb this in, but I didn't feel like waiting for it to come. I installed the MJ1200 pump under the shelf, took the skimmer out to give me room. I used a blow torch to heat the tubing to be able to shape it. Please do not use a torch on the tubing itself, keep the flame away from the tubing. The heat will transfer to the the tubing by keeping the flame a few inches away from the tubing. I was now able to connect the tubing. If you don't want to do it this way, just order the parts above that feeds the scrubber water for the reactor.
20181203_053023.jpg
20181203_053150.jpg

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. I have just installed this, so I do not have any growth yet. It was hard to figure out how to fit everything under this small sump.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a great looking system and thanks for the detailed write up and loads of pictures!

And you have loads of kit in the sump as well

OP
OP
C

chinw76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have decided to experiment and upgrade the scrubber. First of all, I got my colored pvc pipe that I ordered. Second, the bulkhead for the drain was upgraded from 1/2" to 3/4". I removed inserted the 3/4" threaded side into the hole of the scrubber, it went in just an 1/8". I was then able to take a blue sharpie and mark around the bulk head so I know how far to widen the hole for the bigger bulkhead. I used a dremel with a coarse sanding wheel to grind the hole bigger.
20181206_121035.jpg

I then decided to put a 1" elbow over the 3/4" bulk head to make the drain as if it had a 1" bulkhead. I then attached 1" pipe to see how I would like it. I had to use the dremel to open up the hole on 1" elbow to make it fit onto the bulkhead. I noticed it was alot more noisy but was able to move alot of water over the screen.
20181206_121052.jpg

I decided to use 3/4" pipe instead and inserted it into the bulkhead. I was able to get much more flow than the 1/2" bulkhead, but had a lot less noise than using 1" pipe. So I would recommend to buy a 3/4" bulkhead and use 3/4" pipe.
20181206_122719.jpg

You do need to angle the pipe in any application to help eliminate noise of water flowing down the pipe.

stacksoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my mod design that I used to have all water coming in and out of the same side, and fit it in the sump. Great tool for harvesting bryopsis and GHA if you're into that.

20181224_134220.jpg

gatorbait01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my mod design that I used to have all water coming in and out of the same side, and fit it in the sump. Great tool for harvesting bryopsis and GHA if you're into that.

20181224_134220.jpg
Did you just remove the acrylic supports for the input?

lnevo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the idea of moving everything to the same side. I swapped my bulkheads for uniseals so I coudl get closer to the body with my drain pipes. I think I was getting some leaking because the bulkheads weren't tight enough and hard to get inside to tighten better the way it came (threads were on the inside) I don't know that you need the extra flow. I was worried about the screen coverage also but it grows perfectly. How well does the screen stay stable without all the brackets holding the top pipe? That would be my main concern.

stacksoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the idea of moving everything to the same side. I swapped my bulkheads for uniseals so I coudl get closer to the body with my drain pipes. I think I was getting some leaking because the bulkheads weren't tight enough and hard to get inside to tighten better the way it came (threads were on the inside) I don't know that you need the extra flow. I was worried about the screen coverage also but it grows perfectly. How well does the screen stay stable without all the brackets holding the top pipe? That would be my main concern.

I never had a problem with the screen falling out of place. Feeding this scrubber from a water supply above the apparatus solves a lot of problems that people encounter because you're not fighting gravity.

Johnic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered the 50 and can use some help mounting it. How do the unseals work out...i need to conserve space in a tight sump

Johnic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hs anyone thought of cutting a bulkhead out on the bottom and directly exhaust the water that way ? Wonder if that would work ok.

OP
OP
C

chinw76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After playing with it with different bulkheads and pipe sizes, I would believe it would make alot more noise as the water drains.

Johnic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After playing with it with different bulkheads and pipe sizes, I would believe it would make alot more noise as the water drains.

Gotcha...cant wait to get mine this Thursday .... making room in sump, will post pics

37C78CB9-0A1B-43DC-B1C4-493666120E43.jpeg

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey quick question. I was reading through and wondering about how you connected the tubing to your mj pump. Does the tubing slip into the connector or did you use an adapter?

Johnic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Do the Uniseals leak, and would you have pics of your setup ?

lnevo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not had any issues with the uniseals leaking (unlike the bulkheads for me)

8a72b909dbd456120daa0814dc459663.jpg

This is with the bulkheads, but it wouldn’t look much different otherwise :)

Johnic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the max length and width with pipes included. ?

Jlyons

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great idea! I am thinking about doing the same thing and was a bit caught up on where exactly to place it but the shelf idea looks awesome!

Jlyons

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inspired me so much I bought one today as well! Can’t wait to get it up and running! Thanks!!

Johnic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wound up making a custom stand made from acrylic.
Just started it up last Friday - hope she starts growing some algae in a few weeks.

F1D62E15-99AA-4134-9C62-551F342A1F7E.jpeg

7A98404C-B6F5-4A94-A979-90C5671CBF9E.jpeg

OP
OP
C

chinw76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey quick question. I was reading through and wondering about how you connected the tubing to your mj pump. Does the tubing slip into the connector or did you use an adapter?
I used an adapter, I listed it in the parts used with the link in this thread. I am sorry for the late response.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 13 22.8%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 11 19.3%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 6 10.5%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 23 40.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back