Cloudiness and bubbles in sump

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is it possible the white specs I’m seeing are undissolved salt? I mixed for 2 1/2 hours. just like I had done before when I started the tank. only this time in a 5 gal bucket. so it was a 4 gal water change
It’s possible some calcium has precipitated out. You mentioned pH 8.4 which is pretty high. There should be mixing directions on the salt mix. I have not used the salt you are using but if it mixes at a dkh of 12 like someone else mentioned then it wouldn’t surprise me to see some calcium carbonate at the bottom of the bucket

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bring you bucket water up to tank temperature then drop a small power head in and add the salt slowly. I use an led flashlight and shine it into the water. If you can see the light beam there are undissolved particles still. Let circulate until it’s clear. Turn off the pump and let it settle. Different salt mixes take different amounts of time before they are fully dissolved. BRS did an interesting video on this subject. While interesting I don’t think it’s the crux of the problem though.

OP
OP
ReefJunkie28

ReefJunkie28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bring you bucket water up to tank temperature then drop a small power head in and add the salt slowly. I use an led flashlight and shine it into the water. If you can see the light beam there are undissolved particles still. Let circulate until it’s clear. Turn off the pump and let it settle. Different salt mixes take different amounts of time before they are fully dissolved. BRS did an interesting video on this subject. While interesting I don’t think it’s the crux of the problem though.
yeah I watched it before I mixed. here’s the bucket, and instructions. I did what it had said on it. there’s also a pic of the dirty bubbles and the calibration fluid

F669DC2E-A510-4AD9-9BF2-94DC6FCF990C.jpeg E9068F3A-1A77-4EE5-AFA5-8B7C631CBC93.jpeg A48C9EE0-6126-4A28-9BDF-6F78C4C43168.jpeg

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you running a protein skimmer? Looks like some bubbles collecting a little in the sump which will happen over time in the absence of a skimmer. You can scoop the bubble scum out..Calibration fluid looks fine for a refractometer. I wouldn’t use rodi to calibrate, just the solution.
so what would I do?
Check refractometer with the solution
Check tank salinity again.
Check tank alk using 10ml sample
Mix up bucket of salt (personally I would go to 1.026 salinity)
Check alk of new salt water to see if it reads what bucket says. If not there is an issue with the salt or the test

OP
OP
ReefJunkie28

ReefJunkie28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you running a protein skimmer? Looks like some bubbles collecting a little in the sump which will happen over time in the absence of a skimmer. You can scoop the bubble scum out..Calibration fluid looks fine for a refractometer. I wouldn’t use rodi to calibrate, just the solution.
so what would I do?
Check refractometer with the solution
Check tank salinity again.
Check tank alk using 10ml sample
Mix up bucket of salt (personally I would go to 1.026 salinity)
Check alk of new salt water to see if it reads what bucket says. If not there is an issue with the salt or the test
I think I found my problem. I think it’s the salt that didn’t dissolve. that would explain why my alk is so low, and the white particles. no I’m not running a slimmer but that’s good to know I can just scoop them out.

OP
OP
ReefJunkie28

ReefJunkie28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I found my problem. I think it’s the salt that didn’t dissolve. that would explain why my alk is so low, and the white particles. no I’m not running a slimmer but that’s good to know I can just scoop them out.
but yeah I did double check my salinity. and double checked my calibration

OP
OP
ReefJunkie28

ReefJunkie28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
saying that. what in the world do I do now

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
saying that. what in the world do I do now
Sodium bicarbonate/baking soda to raise it OR water change again. The salt mix should mix to a pretty high dkh which will increase overall alk in your tank. Try adding the salt a little slower and mixing vigorously when adding to try and minimize precipitation. I like to add the salt in stages. Add 1/3 then give it 5 min and add some more.. until it’s all in. I don’t premeasure though. I have a rough idea how many scoops I need since I use the same scooper each time. When I’m getting close I use the refractometer to get it exactly where I want making sure I give it sufficient time to test salinity properly.

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Redwood City, Ca. 94062 (San Francisco Bay Area)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mix "Black Bucket" every day in a 5 gallon bucket. I stole a 1/2 cup measuring cup from my wife. I measured 4 gallons RODI into the bucket and marked the outside water level with a Sharpie. Now I add water to the line, drop a heater and powerhead into the bucket, add 4 level scoops with the 1/2 cup scoop, I let it run for 30 minutes, stir it up with a stick and in an hour I check with refractometer and adjust as needed.
Cheers! Mark

OP
OP
ReefJunkie28

ReefJunkie28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mix "Black Bucket" every day in a 5 gallon bucket. I stole a 1/2 cup measuring cup from my wife. I measured 4 gallons RODI into the bucket and marked the outside water level with a Sharpie. Now I add water to the line, drop a heater and powerhead into the bucket, add 4 level scoops with the 1/2 cup scoop, I let it run for 30 minutes, stir it up with a stick and in an hour I check with refractometer and adjust as needed.
Cheers! Mark
thanks a lot. I use a 1/2 cup measuring cup too. I just went and got a black bucket to mix so I can see the salt if it’s not dissolved. seems maybe I was adding the salt a little fast..

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Redwood City, Ca. 94062 (San Francisco Bay Area)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks a lot. I use a 1/2 cup measuring cup too. I just went and got a black bucket to mix so I can see the salt if it’s not dissolved. seems maybe I was adding the salt a little fast..
Your welcome!! I just dump mine in, while holding my breath, 'cause I hate breathing the powdered salt.

OP
OP
ReefJunkie28

ReefJunkie28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
final dkh was 10. I was pretty satisfied with that. did my water change... again, thanks to everyone for your advice. really appreciate it.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back