Cloudy Saltwater Tank

Jeffster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am starting up a 10 gallon nano tank, and I currently do not have any live rock, sand, or anything, just saltwater in my tank, and the water is cloudy. I used Instant Ocean salt, and I have a submersible pump that goes 80 gph as a powerhead and another sicce 140 gph pump for my sump. It is cloudy for some reason. I am not planning to have corals, fish only and live rock. Does anyone have any idea what this could be?

Alaeriel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your water parameters? How are you cycling? How long has the water been mixing? The Reef Squad could probably provide some concrete answers, but more information is needed. Could be a bacterial bloom, could just be that your salt hasn't been mixing long enough! Good luck on your reefing journey!

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am starting up a 10 gallon nano tank, and I currently do not have any live rock, sand, or anything, just saltwater in my tank, and the water is cloudy. I used Instant Ocean salt, and I have a submersible pump that goes 80 gph as a powerhead and another sicce 140 gph pump for my sump. It is cloudy for some reason. I am not planning to have corals, fish only and live rock. Does anyone have any idea what this could be?
Did you mix the saltwater in the tank?

OP
OP
Jeffster

Jeffster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I mixed it outside of the tank. I don't have anything in there, I doubt it's cycling. It used to be a 10 gallon for my betta, who recently passed, and I decided to dip my toes into the big world of Saltwater Tanks. I haven't started the cycle, or added an ammonia source, and I'm getting live sand this Saturday. I'm going to start the process of cycling from there. Should I take it out, and mix it more then try adding it back?

Alaeriel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I mixed it outside of the tank. I don't have anything in there, I doubt it's cycling. It used to be a 10 gallon for my betta, who recently passed, and I decided to dip my toes into the big world of Saltwater Tanks. I haven't started the cycle, or added an ammonia source, and I'm getting live sand this Saturday. I'm going to start the process of cycling from there. Should I take it out, and mix it more then try adding it back?
How long was the salt mixing for? Many salt mixes are recommended to be mixed via a pump or powerhead for 8-24+ hours. The sand will take a long time to settle if its added after the water. Many suggest adding water slowly after the sand and rock are placed, but if you're okay waiting for the sand to settle completely, either way is technically fine.

OP
OP
Jeffster

Jeffster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About an hour max. I'll put my powerhead higher up and increase oxygen and I'll just have the salt mix in the tank. I can wait for the sand to settle, not a big problem. I'll start mixing my salt for a long time. Do you think I could use an air pump for that instead of a powerhead?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jeffster

Jeffster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's starting to clear up more, I think I didn't mix the salt enough. Thanks everyone for your advice.

OP
OP
Jeffster

Jeffster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can tell that my salt wasn't mixed in enough, I'm getting inconsistent salt readings. I'll just let the tank do it's thing and check the salt levels tomorrow

Alaeriel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About an hour max. I'll put my powerhead higher up and increase oxygen and I'll just have the salt mix in the tank. I can wait for the sand to settle, not a big problem. I'll start mixing my salt for a long time. Do you think I could use an air pump for that instead of a powerhead?
An air pump wouldn't get enough circulation to thoroughly mix it. What you could do is pick up a fountain pump from Menards or Home Depot if you don't want to use a powerhead. They're relatively inexpensive and as long as its maintained properly, you shouldn't have a problem. It needs something powerful enough to provide a strong current.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A side note. When you get your sand, consider putting it all in a big bucket. Then take it outside and fill the bucket with a garden hose. Now that it's full run the water slowly and let it overflow the bucket. Then start taking the hose and move it up and down and around in the sand. The silt will flow out and the water will be cloudy, in time (a few minutes) the water will clear. Then stop the water and start tipping the bucket to drain out the water. I usually end up with the bucket of wet sand out on my driveway and get the bucket to lay down with the open end facing down the slope of the driveway (mine is kind of steep). You may need to prop up the back side of the bucket to get more pitch. When the water quits dribbling out of the bucket, the sand is good to go. Some people will rinse the sand again by adding enough RO/DI water to cover the sand and drain it again. I don't think this is necessary, but if you are worried about the chlorine or other things in your city water, the extra rinse should take care of that.

Good luck, have fun and keep asking questions!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Give it 24 hrs to clear up. Running carbon also helps although not required

OP
OP
Jeffster

Jeffster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am getting live sand, so shouldn't I be using saltwater?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back