OP
Skep18

Skep18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm having what seems to be the same problem, and I cant for the life of me figure it out either, I used a uv sterilizer and it seemed to clear up, then it came back. 2nd time it happened I skipped the sterilizer and it seemed to clear up in the same time, about a week. This time. The third time, I've tried cutting the flow and it seemed to do nothing, I just set up a carbon reactor hoping that may do the trick. The first time it happened I blamed it on me accidentally turning the powerheads all 100 on and that stirred up the substrate a bunch, the second and third time I cant think of any cause. And my tank is stocked with just a couple snails, I had a couple corals in it but pulled them back to quarantine after the first cloudy spell.

That's kinda why I'm holding off on the purchase. I figure it's something that's gotta get worked out on its own maybe?

Well hearing its happening over and over its not so encouraging...

How long between outbreaks? Or was it definitely in correlation to something you did?

I've been running fresh carbon and now so useful...

Gregorjw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's kinda why I'm holding off on the purchase. I figure it's something that's gotta get worked out on its own maybe?

Well hearing its happening over and over its not so encouraging...

How long between outbreaks? Or was it definitely in correlation to something you did?

I've been running fresh carbon and now so useful...
It doesn't seem to be much more than a couple days between my outbreaks.
I dont think there is a correlation between anything I did aside for maybe the first time with the powerheads. Now to be fair I have started siphoning out the gravel with the intention of going bare bottom now, I'd say that may have had something to do with it but, at least initially the water seemed to improve everytime.
My tank is only around 4 months and as never seen a fish save for 2 firefish that unfortunately passed 2 months or so ago due to flukes, and the 15 or so snails that are in it now.

OP
OP
Skep18

Skep18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It doesn't seem to be much more than a couple days between my outbreaks.
I dont think there is a correlation between anything I did aside for maybe the first time with the powerheads. Now to be fair I have started siphoning out the gravel with the intention of going bare bottom now, I'd say that may have had something to do with it but, at least initially the water seemed to improve everytime.
My tank is only around 4 months and as never seen a fish save for 2 firefish that unfortunately passed 2 months or so ago due to flukes, and the 15 or so snails that are in it now.

Lol, well this is not encouraging.... But I appreciate the honesty.

Do you think theres something in the substrate? With only 2 firefish ever, I wouldn't think your nutrients could even build up much. Do you even feed anymore?

Gregorjw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to assume it has something to do with the substrate, I say that because I'm using the same rock, salt and nutrients in my coral quarantine tank and I have no such issues.
I do feed the main tank phytoplankton every other and drop sinking algae pellets in for the snails occasionally. I do this because I dont have any noticeable algae growth, I'm curious if the lack of algae growth is a clue to what the problem is. My phosphates are almost always reading at 0 and nitrates are in to 5-12 range and I run my lights for 10 hours a day

OP
OP
Skep18

Skep18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have to assume it has something to do with the substrate, I say that because I'm using the same rock, salt and nutrients in my coral quarantine tank and I have no such issues.
I do feed the main tank phytoplankton every other and drop sinking algae pellets in for the snails occasionally. I do this because I dont have any noticeable algae growth, I'm curious if the lack of algae growth is a clue to what the problem is. My phosphates are almost always reading at 0 and nitrates are in to 5-12 range and I run my lights for 10 hours a day

What substrate do you have? If its from CaribSea, surely there's nothing inherently wrong with their product given their market presence. Now, whether its how the reef keeper handles it, maybe I'll bite.

Idk, I gotta think what I'm doing isn't anything too different from many other reefers. But time will ultimately tell I assume. If I had months of recurring outbreaks I might consider BB as well but I would REALLY hate to do that, personally. Aesthetically, I can't stand the look of BB but that's obviously very very subjective.

reefes pieces

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same issue as you when I started my tank. Even adding a cheap underpowered UV sterilizer did the trick for me. I don't know if this is the root cause for my issues but my house windows are always closed and didn't get a lot of fresh air around the tank. I wouldn't blame the substrate just yet. Try running a fan to circulate the air around the tank. I'm pretty sure with a newish tank, different types of bacteria maybe trying to play capture the flag and right now the undesirable ones are winning at the moment? Keep running the UV sterilizer even though the tank clears up just to make sure the bloom is in check. Then shut off the sterilizer and dose some brand name bacteria so the proper strains can take hold. Worked for me.

OP
OP
Skep18

Skep18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had the same issue as you when I started my tank. Even adding a cheap underpowered UV sterilizer did the trick for me. I don't know if this is the root cause for my issues but my house windows are always closed and didn't get a lot of fresh air around the tank. I wouldn't blame the substrate just yet. Try running a fan to circulate the air around the tank. I'm pretty sure with a newish tank, different types of bacteria maybe trying to play capture the flag and right now the undesirable ones are winning at the moment? Keep running the UV sterilizer even though the tank clears up just to make sure the bloom is in check. Then shut off the sterilizer and dose some brand name bacteria so the proper strains can take hold. Worked for me.

Thanks for the feedback. Seems this issue is so hit-or-miss with UV and bacteria. I literally saw another thread where people told the guy to STOP dosing new bacteria when he was doing that in an attempt to correct the issue. And I certainly am not against a cheap UV but at this point, if experience serves me right, by the time I get the filter, it will be cleared up. Then I will be stuck with an unused cheap UV filter. That's why I'm debating getting a good one if this is something I need to be concerned about recurringly.

OP
OP
Skep18

Skep18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well I just did some testing. Last time I tested was Monday. All parameters look normal for my tank except the following:
  • Alkalinity dropped at least 0.2dKH if not more. ~7.9dKH down to 7.6dKH.
  • Nitrates dropped 1.5ppm roughly. Consistent 4ppm down to almost 2ppm, maybe slightly darker 2.5ppm.
I'm not good enough at calcium testing yet to get consistent results.

I confirmed my Alkalinity twice.

It's like the bloom is consuming nitrates. I can't explain the alk other than maybe my frags are starting to consume, although my frags are small. Small enough I figured they wouldn't impact the tank.

OP
OP
Skep18

Skep18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Day 6:

20180920_141101.jpg

20180920_141050.jpg

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar problem when I set up my 90 gallon. It was really cloudy for a day or so and I turned on my uv sterilizer that is installed in a canister filter. It cleared up and never came back. Do you have any other filter than filter socks and a skimmer?? My skimmer will not take care of a bateria bloom

OP
OP
Skep18

Skep18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If it was my tank. I would try the Marineland Magnum filter with the micron cartridge and if that didn't work I'd get some DE for it and charge the micron filter with it.

https://www.amazon.com/Marineland-Polishing-Internal-Canister-ML90770/dp/B01C8PH0OI

Can you polish bacteria out of the water?

I had a similar problem when I set up my 90 gallon. It was really cloudy for a day or so and I turned on my uv sterilizer that is installed in a canister filter. It cleared up and never came back. Do you have any other filter than filter socks and a skimmer?? My skimmer will not take care of a bateria bloom

Yea, I'm guessing UV would solve my problem now at least. I figured if it's going to be a long term issue worth spending $400 on a decent UV, it'll still be cloudy this weekend. If it is a short term bloom, it'll be gone by the time I get a UV filter in the mail.

I have other filter pads throughout the sump and carbon but idk what other mechanical filtration there is.

Fingers crossed, it sounds like for some UV once fixes it and others it's a temporary fix for a long term problem... No real knowledge available (on here) as to why or how each is how it is. Kinda best guess situation.

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you polish bacteria out of the water?

Yea, I'm guessing UV would solve my problem now at least. I figured if it's going to be a long term issue worth spending $400 on a decent UV, it'll still be cloudy this weekend. If it is a short term bloom, it'll be gone by the time I get a UV filter in the mail.

I have other filter pads throughout the sump and carbon but idk what other mechanical filtration there is.

Fingers crossed, it sounds like for some UV once fixes it and others it's a temporary fix for a long term problem... No real knowledge available (on here) as to why or how each is how it is. Kinda best guess situation.

No because bacteria is not free floating, it's in your substrate and rocks. I have used the polisher a handful of times and always clears my tank. And it's only $50 vs $400 for a UV

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I'll be honest with you I'm poor. I have a cheap sun sun 304-b filter that I got got for 50$ from some guy who didn't want it anymore. I put a new uv light in it and it fixed my problem in 4 hours. You can buy something expensive but I've gone for cheaper options and they do the job just fine. Long story short don't over think it. That cheap filter does alot for me and have relyed on it a little too much haha.

OP
OP
Skep18

Skep18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No because bacteria is not free floating, it's in your substrate and rocks. I have used the polisher a handful of times and always clears my tank. And it's only $50 vs $400 for a UV

This definitely isn't substrate. If you look up information on bacteria blooms, according to other reefers much more experienced than myself, this is not our "good" bacteria which is on surfaces. This is a "bad" bacteria which lives in the water column.

And I'll be honest with you I'm poor. I have a cheap sun sun 304-b filter that I got got for 50$ from some guy who didn't want it anymore. I put a new uv light in it and it fixed my problem in 4 hours. You can buy something expensive but I've gone for cheaper options and they do the job just fine. Long story short don't over think it. That cheap filter does alot for me and have relyed on it a little too much haha.

I don't mind buying a nice one. What I don't want is to get a cheap one I'll never use. If I buy anything, it'll taker 4 days to get here. If this isn't looking any better by Saturday (~1 week) I'll just break down and buy one. My concern is any potential reliance on one in implementing that fix as opposed to letting the system work itself out.

OP
OP
Skep18

Skep18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I didn't think it'd be possible but it's worse tonight. Hard to tell in photos but apparent in person:

20180920_184245.jpg

20180920_184238.jpg

OP
OP
Skep18

Skep18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well, I went ahead and ordered a Pentair Aquatics Smart UV 40 Watt Sterilizer from @Bulk Reef Supply . Hopefully we won't rely on this long term but I will say, if it helps water clarity, I might use it on time intervals on a regular basis. That or just as needed.

Also I figure it's been shown to be useful for dinos. Idk how you get dinos but if we do I guess we'll be ready.

Smh. Idk. Kinda wasn't impressed with cheaper units and leaking/rust, etc.

That said, it won't get here until Wednesday, 6 days from now... Poor fish can't see food in front of their face. Probably will do a 40 gallon WC tomorrow.

OP
OP
Skep18

Skep18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No change really as of today.

Last night I threw in half a bottle of Biospira I had lying around figuring maybe it'll help reseed the good bacteria. Despite turning the skimmer off for a 1hr feed cycle, I awoke to a decent change in my skimmer cup fill. Optimistically I want to think it's starting to help the cloud. Realistically I think I just skimmed out most of that Biospira. Lol...

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 181 72.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back