Cloudy water new tank

BigUgliesNY

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 8, 2023
Messages
84
Reaction score
22
Location
Bowie
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I just set up a new Red Sea Reefer Max 425 G2+. I used about 50% of saltwater from my current tank and 50% new LFS saltwater. I also used new sand. I have only been running the tank about 10 hours. I have one reef wave set on low and am moving water. My sump is set and I am runny my reef mat and protein skimmer. I have not added my livestock or corals yet. How long do I need to run the tank before I see clear water or is there anything else I need to do
 
I setup my 10 gallon cube with dry rock and Ocean Direct sand. It took about 24 hours to start clearing up. I did put some filter floss in to help catch some suspended matter, and that seems to have helped. It has a tan haze all over it.
 
Hey everyone, I just set up a new Red Sea Reefer Max 425 G2+. I used about 50% of saltwater from my current tank and 50% new LFS saltwater. I also used new sand. I have only been running the tank about 10 hours. I have one reef wave set on low and am moving water. My sump is set and I am runny my reef mat and protein skimmer. I have not added my livestock or corals yet. How long do I need to run the tank before I see clear water or is there anything else I need to do
How well did you rinse the said? Is the water being filtered? It could take days to become clear.
 
How well did you rinse the said? Is the water being filtered? It could take days to become clear.
It was live sand and a little dry aragonite. Not rinsed. It’s filtering thru a reef mat and skimmer
 
I agree with rinsing sand. But I don’t understand buying live sand at 30 bucks a bag and then rising it. Why not just buy the dry sand at a cheaper price and rinse your heart out? 40 pounds of Fiji pink live is about 70 bucks after taxes. Just bought it today from a store. 40 pounds of Fiji pink dry is like 48 bucks after taxes. 30 bucks is 30 bucks
 
How long do I need to run the tank before I see clear water or is there anything else I need to do

At this point, leave it running and just wait for it to clear. Not sure how long it will take. You could use filter floss as a polishing step.
 
At this point, leave it running and just wait for it to clear. Not sure how long it will take. You could use filter floss as a polishing step.
Where do I place the filter floss. Reef mat is in one chamber. Skimmer in the next one and return in another.
 
Where do I place the filter floss. Reef mat is in one chamber. Skimmer in the next one and return in another.
Right… you have reef mat. Filter floss would be redundant. Just let it filter as is. It will clear up.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 5 35.7%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new