Cloudy water

siniang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

so, I did my regular 25% water change on Sunday. I had quite a bit of brown algae on the tank walls that I cleaned off (and some what I think sheets of cyano on the sand). Since then my water seems cloudy. It's hard to tell on the picture as it's not THAT bad compared to other pictures I saw here in the forums, but it's most noticeably towards the top and I do see tons of particles in the water column. I did get brown "dust" on the sand which I assumed was matter that sank down after cleaning the dank walls?

Algae/diatoom bloom?
Bacterial bloom?

Leave it be or treat it? If treat, how?

Tank is 3 months old, now, 2 months fish in.

IMG_6316.JPG

IMG_6666.JPG

I start getting purple coraline algae. I also have a tiny bit of green hair algae - so I assumed my cycle was complete. According to parameters, it was. I thought diatom bloom is part of the cycle, but I just read somewhere that it comes after the cycle?

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just part of the new tank uglies...keep parameters stable and it will work itself out.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My suspicion is a small bacterial bloom and in 1 to 3 days it will show signs of going away. I wouldn't worry about it. Just keep an eye on it and make sure you don't see anything else go wrong. My 50g tank is going through a big change as it used to be attached to a 120g DT and a 50g sump. The big system got sold off (I'm downsizing from 4 tanks to 1) and now the 50g cube is a stand alone. Right now it's attached to a Brute garbage can with 20-25g of water and a filter sock. I'm building an additional cabinet to house a 40g diy sump/refugium and a skimmer. But in the mean time, I just had a bacteria bloom and it's improved some over the last 36 hours.

Always remember, nothing good happens quickly in a marine aquarium!

OP
OP
S

siniang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you.

Somehow I thought the new tank uglies were part of the cycle. Ok, I'll wait it out, but monitor closely, of course.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 55 32.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 45 26.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 20.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 32 18.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.2%
Back