Clown disease help

TeaBiscuit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got two clowns from my LFS. One was tank raised and one wild. The wild one looked sickly from day one and died after 3 days (picture attached with wood background). Now the other clown that was healthy and active now has a part that looks like an issue. (Picture attached). Not sure if they are connect but providing the info. Please help identify the issue and possible help measures. Thanks!

8E2F5E93-97AE-4BF8-91CF-F4390DE973BA.jpeg E005EC40-4111-4753-8D4C-0B0BF44AE692.jpeg 7E521AA3-826D-4A76-8503-F78B4BF86900.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

The clown does appear to have Brooklynella, a serious protozoan disease common in wild clownfish.
You might want to let your dealer know. If they are seeing the same issue in their fish, they might cover it for you.
Treatment is difficult. Do you have a treatment tank available? If not, your options are pretty limited - a product called Ruby Reef Rally Pro can be used as a dip and in the tank, but it isn’t as effective as higher dose formalin dip and moving the fish to a fresh tank.
Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Reading in Brook and the behaviour also matches.
I am in a town that doesn’t have a lot of salt water options.
What are your thoughts on the fresh water dip method?
https://humble.fish/freshwater-dip/
Sorry, that only provides temporary relief, the brooklynella will return because FW dips just aren’t 100% effective, and returning the fish to the same tank tends to just allow for reinfection. It may buy you some time though…
Jay

OP
OP
T

TeaBiscuit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really appreciate the help. Did a FW dip and although the clown obviously didn’t enjoy it I think it is doing a bit better now that it is back in the tank. No more just hanging out at the surface. On the hunt now for reef rally pro.
appreciate the help!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back