clown fin splits cause long term damage?

  • Thread starter Thread starter jtf74
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

jtf74

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
May 20, 2020
Messages
752
Reaction score
539
Location
Florissant
What state or country do you live in
Colorado
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My large maroon female isn't aggressive but my flame likes to chase everything. They two are almost the same size maybe the clown is a little longer. I've seen the angel swim beside her close to her nems and challenge her but never seen them actually fight. The clown though ever since I got the flame a year ago has had 4 or 5 split fins which I assume is the flames doing. It always heals in a few days but I wonder if that may cause problems long term? I had thought this problem would have been between the flame and my smaller bicolor but no issues with them so I really don't want to have to rehome the flame.
 
My large maroon female isn't aggressive but my flame likes to chase everything. They two are almost the same size maybe the clown is a little longer. I've seen the angel swim beside her close to her nems and challenge her but never seen them actually fight. The clown though ever since I got the flame a year ago has had 4 or 5 split fins which I assume is the flames doing. It always heals in a few days but I wonder if that may cause problems long term? I had thought this problem would have been between the flame and my smaller bicolor but no issues with them so I really don't want to have to rehome the flame.

Tough to say; every split fin has a *chance* to become infected, but they usually heal on their own. Then, if the split goes all the way back to the body, and that tissue there is damaged, the split may never grow back together. The older the fish, the more likely it is that will happen.

Jay
 
Thanks for the info. May consider a smaller tank setup for the flame then.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 6 18.2%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 14 42.4%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 2 6.1%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 6.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new