Clown fish eggs

trietnguyen000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone has experience on how to handle clown fish eggs? Just happened to look in the tank today and saw a bunch of clown fish eggs attached to the wall. How do I help ensure some survival? Tank is a 24 gal with only two clowns, a demsel, and a timid fire goby. Tank has LPS.

IMG_8307.jpeg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You will need to harvest them after hatching (there are numerous articles showing how to determine the likely hatching date - which occurs just after dark. (If they had laid eggs on a rock, etc, you could have removed the rock.

Basically if you do not remove the hatched fry, they will be either eaten or filtered out of the tank. I did one time find 2 small clowns a couple of months that survived after being filtered into my sump.

You well need a phytoplankton culture for feeding.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone has experience on how to handle clown fish eggs? Just happened to look in the tank today and saw a bunch of clown fish eggs attached to the wall. How do I help ensure some survival? Tank is a 24 gal with only two clowns, a demsel, and a timid fire goby. Tank has LPS.

IMG_8307.jpeg
Mine are designated as “free fish food”

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, you'll need a larval rearing tank (doesn't have to be big, fancy, or expensive - you basically just need a small tank with a heater and some water movement; strong biofiltration like from used filter media is suggested - don't use a mechanical filter, protein skimmer, etc. as these will kill the larvae), a phytoplankton culture, a rotifer culture, and an Artemia culture or a small and nutritious pellet feed (like Otohime or TDO Chromaboost).

The thread below can give some ideas/help with the rearing, but it's not a "must do" guide - it's more of general advice/guidelines:

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_8307.jpeg
I wouldn't bother, unless you're prepared to set up a separate system for rearing them (and spend a LOT of time on them). To me, it's just not worth it.

The good thing is, since your clowns are spawning, they'll likely continue to do so (2-3 times a month), so if you decide to try your hand at raising clownfish, you'll have plenty of chances :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 141 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.0%
Back