Clown hosting Torch Coral

leilani908

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my clownfish have been in the new tank for 3 days now. And I noticed one of them (which I presume is the female) rubbing herself against my torch coral as if to get used to it or host it. But it was just her, the other one was swimming around. And then a bit later she stopped and then they went back to swimming together and rubbing against each other.

Wasn't sure if there was a system with hosting something if the female starts and then the male or how long it takes. Thank you!

OP
OP
L

leilani908

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s really interesting. Mine have also made my torch their home, but the male is the one hanging out there.

Yeah. It's only her. And I only ever see her doing it when the tank lights are off and she doesn't do it for long. Only a little and then after a bit she'll swim away back to the male.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So my clownfish have been in the new tank for 3 days now. And I noticed one of them (which I presume is the female) rubbing herself against my torch coral as if to get used to it or host it. But it was just her, the other one was swimming around. And then a bit later she stopped and then they went back to swimming together and rubbing against each other.

Wasn't sure if there was a system with hosting something if the female starts and then the male or how long it takes. Thank you!

What you are describing is normal and positive clownfish behavior. IME it is often the male first but not always. Sometimes they start in one direction and then change their mind. I enjoy clowns, but they are weird and can be aggressive so if they aren't being aggressive right now then take it as a win!

laguest

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The same thing happened to me, it was really cool but they also killed by 8 headed torch that I could never replace. I went and bought a somewhat boring green frogspawn that they have been in for the past 2 years. I have tried a few torches since then but none have really done as well as the first.

OP
OP
L

leilani908

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you are describing is normal and positive clownfish behavior. IME it is often the male first but not always. Sometimes they start in one direction and then change their mind. I enjoy clowns, but they are weird and can be aggressive so if they aren't being aggressive right now then take it as a win!

They don't seem aggressive. I don't have any other fish in the tank yet, so we'll see when I do. They are slow eaters so I don't think they're very aggressive. They are weird. I can't tell when their actions or anything they do mean hahaha. I wish there was a "guide to understanding your clownfish and what they do"

OP
OP
L

leilani908

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The same thing happened to me, it was really cool but they also killed by 8 headed torch that I could never replace. I went and bought a somewhat boring green frogspawn that they have been in for the past 2 years. I have tried a few torches since then but none have really done as well as the first.

My torch looks happy so far. They don't do it often, but maybe I can get them a different coral to host instead.

CoralsAddiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my clowns love torches and hammers in addition to their anemone. They recently loved a gold torch to death. Literally. It died within a week.
24A6A8F6-1AED-4BDF-8C7A-F3A7FA3E1DD9.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 161 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back