Gonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! So I’ve been on quite a journey with my mocha clown I have him in qt with my frostbite snowflake, the mocha showed signs of Brook gave him a bath in rrr and treated tank with metroplex, once again after a couple weeks showed signs of Brook and had this worm like string coming out of him photo below. I gave him another bath with rrr and when I pulled him out his tail appeared completely white I’ll also attach photos, 2 days have passed since then and now his tail is completely missing. He seems to be swimming okay still eating aggressively. Will it grow back and what could have caused this? Should I be doing anything to treat the missing tail? Anything helps thanks in advance!

47B93FBB-6A47-4EE2-B2A9-FF06331EAF19.jpeg 73CF3E53-0248-4D6F-A045-815682D90EFE.jpeg 0083397A-90F3-46FB-95E5-2E4531110F60.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is right on the borderline of what will regrow or not. There is a bone called the hypural plate. Once the infection reaches that, the fin growth stops.

Most tail infections in clownfish begin when one clown bites the other's fin, then the damaged tissue gets infected with bacteria in the water.

Do you think you have the fin rot stopped? If not, you may need to treat with an antibiotic. Also, if the other clown did this damage, you'll need to separate them.

Jay

OP
OP
Gonj

Gonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is right on the borderline of what will regrow or not. There is a bone called the hypural plate. Once the infection reaches that, the fin growth stops.

Most tail infections in clownfish begin when one clown bites the other's fin, then the damaged tissue gets infected with bacteria in the water.

Do you think you have the fin rot stopped? If not, you may need to treat with an antibiotic. Also, if the other clown did this damage, you'll need to separate them.

Jay
What antibiotics would help treat this? Also I did notice nipping but I figured it was just them trying to establish who would assume the female roll. Can he live if it didn’t grow back ?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What antibiotics would help treat this? Also I did notice nipping but I figured it was just them trying to establish who would assume the female roll. Can he live if it didn’t grow back ?
I think that antibiotics would be required if this is still getting worse. The other clown likely started it by biting, so you need to keep them isolated. It may survive if you stop the infection, and if the fin doesn't grow back, it can live, but will never really be able to keep up with other fish. Of course, as I said, it may grow back just fine.

Jay

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 8 7.5%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 18 17.0%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 71 67.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.7%
Back