Clown stressed in QT

CherryRock

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got a new clown the other day and put him in my quarantine tank. Tank is a 2 gallon with PVC, heater, and filter with floss and sponge from DT.

I’ve noticed the clown seems to be freaking out a bit. He keeps swimming around all over the place and will not eat. I covered the sides of the tank with a dark cloth, but any time I try to feed him or check on him he freaks out again and goes back swimming like crazy.

Any ideas on what to do? I don’t think he will survive his quarantine period like this if he will not eat.

OP
OP
C

CherryRock

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, he’s bright colored. Isn’t breathing fast. Just seems to be swimming all over the place.
Added a picture. I know it’s not the best but I can’t keep him still.

Attachments

• A7427F47-4710-4123-928C-0498BBFD4C4E.jpeg
    A7427F47-4710-4123-928C-0498BBFD4C4E.jpeg
    127.1 KB · Views: 48

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got a new clown the other day and put him in my quarantine tank. Tank is a 2 gallon with PVC, heater, and filter with floss and sponge from DT.

I’ve noticed the clown seems to be freaking out a bit. He keeps swimming around all over the place and will not eat. I covered the sides of the tank with a dark cloth, but any time I try to feed him or check on him he freaks out again and goes back swimming like crazy.

Any ideas on what to do? I don’t think he will survive his quarantine period like this if he will not eat.
Two gallons is pretty small, it may not feel too secure.
What have you treated it with so far?
Try lighting the QT and dimming the room lights. This makes it more difficult for the fish to see you.
Jay

OP
OP
C

CherryRock

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven’t treated it with anything. I just acclimated it from the store to the same water that is in the DT.
I’ll try lighting it and see if he calms down.

It does seem like he gets scared when he sees his own reflection but I don’t know how to fix it since it’s bare bottom. Only thing I figured was wrapping it with a dark cloth.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has it been in there for? New fish take time to adjust to a new tank. That said, the qt is very small and not helping things either.

OP
OP
C

CherryRock

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will be day 2. Figured a 2 gallon was sufficient since the clown is so small, but am working on getting a larger QT set up.

What is a good size QT? My DT is a 20 gal peninsula.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 34 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back