Clown struggling, swim bladder issue?

WiscoFishNut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need some help please! One of my clowns who is currently in QT is having difficulty swimming and has been laying on the bottom of the tank pretty frequently this morning. When he does swim it's like he's struggling to float - his tail end is almost always in a downward position and really looks like he's working hard to swim when compared to the other clown. He has been eating, tank parameters have been very stable, and I haven't started meds yet for general QT. #reefsquad

Here are the meds i have on hand

Copper Power
Coppersafe
Cupramine
Prazipro
Metroplex
Kanaplex
Bifuran+
Furan-2
API General Cure
Focus
Garlic Guard

Last edited:
OP
OP
WiscoFishNut

WiscoFishNut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not seeing any visible abnormalities, just the behavior if that makes a difference

OP
OP
WiscoFishNut

WiscoFishNut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, here's a pic

1025190839g_HDR.jpg

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the crummy quality, I need to clean the glass lol
Lol, no worries man! You said you're currently not running any meds yet, correct?

OP
OP
WiscoFishNut

WiscoFishNut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, no worries man! You said you're currently not running any meds yet, correct?

Correct, just been observing so far. I was going to start Copper Power tomorrow after I pick up a coral beauty from the LFS, but that plan is on hold for the time being unless Copper is the way to go.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Swimbladder infections or issues are generally indicated by a fish overly buoyant (has to swim down otherwise they sit at the top). They often have swollen abdomens as well.

Spinal injuries are generally characterized by a fish that swims strangely, acts as if it has a sinker tied to its tail, and inability to control its movements gracefully which worsens until temporary or even permanent paralyzation as the swelling worsens. This type of injury is most common in wrasse due to their tendency to dart quickly in to the side of the tank, hit rocks, or hard lids when spooked. It’s less common in clownfish but it’s certainly possible.

It could be nearly anything at this point, including simple weakness or overall illness that’s making the fish too weak to swim well.

Any spots on the fish? “Dusting”? Heavy breathing? Redness or sores? Hiding from light? Scratching or flashing?

OP
OP
WiscoFishNut

WiscoFishNut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Swimbladder infections or issues are generally indicated by a fish overly buoyant (has to swim down otherwise they sit at the top). They often have swollen abdomens as well.

Spinal injuries are generally characterized by a fish that swims strangely, acts as if it has a sinker tied to its tail, and inability to control its movements gracefully which worsens until temporary or even permanent paralyzation as the swelling worsens. This type of injury is most common in wrasse due to their tendency to dart quickly in to the side of the tank, hit rocks, or hard lids when spooked. It’s less common in clownfish but it’s certainly possible.

It could be nearly anything at this point, including simple weakness or overall illness that’s making the fish too weak to swim well.

Any spots on the fish? “Dusting”? Heavy breathing? Redness or sores? Hiding from light? Scratching or flashing?

Thanks for taking the time to reply! It definitely looks like a sinker is tied to his tail :( No to - spots, dusting, heavy breathing, redness or sores, hiding from light. Yes to - flashing!

OP
OP
WiscoFishNut

WiscoFishNut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for taking the time to reply! It definitely looks like a sinker is tied to his tail :( No to - spots, dusting, heavy breathing, redness or sores, hiding from light. Yes to - flashing!
Flashing is often a sign of parasites. These can be flukes, brook, ich, velvet most frequently. Id lean toward flukes if you’re not seeing spots although velvet in particular can target the gills and kill the fish before spots appear on the body of the fish.

I’d start with a freshwater dip in a dark bucket to see if flukes feeding on the gills and fish are the culprit for the weakness—-if you find sesame seed looking things after a 5 minute dip then you know flukes are a component.

If a spinal injury is at play the only thing you can do is wait and perhaps dose epsom salt to aid with swelling and hope for the best.

Here is an article I wrote on the subject matter:

This is obviously geared toward wrasse injuries but applies to other fish as well.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WiscoFishNut

WiscoFishNut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flashing is often a sign of parasites. These can be flukes, brook, ich, velvet most frequently. I’d start with a freshwater dip in a dark bucket to see if flukes feeding on the gills and fish are the culprit for the weakness—-if you find sesame seed looking things after a 5 minute dip then you know flukes are a component.

If a spinal injury is at play the only thing you can do is wait and perhaps dose epsom salt to aid with swelling and hope for the best.

Here is an article I wrote on the subject matter:

This is obviously geared toward wrasse injuries but applies to other fish as well.

Thanks for that info! I'll try a freshwater dip at lunch and see if anything drops off him. Will reply back with the results in a couple hours

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@4FordFamily @Crabs McJones - just finished up a 5 minute freshwater bath. No flukes present. It did seem to wake him up a bit tho lol. I'll give it an hour to see if he goes back to laying on the bottom of the tank.
Just for laughs, what are the parameters of the quarantine?

OP
OP
WiscoFishNut

WiscoFishNut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for laughs, what are the parameters of the quarantine?

I've been pretty diligent with weekly 10g WC and not overfeeding like I did my last tank :)

Ammonia - 0 (seachem badge)
Nitrite - haven't tested that in a while since it cycled
Nitrate - 5 (tested this morning)
Salinity - a little low at 1.019
Temp - 78.8

I've got a large sponge with an air pump and a HOB Bio-wheel filter for flow/oxygen. The only thing other than that in there are a few dozen plastic bio balls and 3 pvc sections.

OP
OP
WiscoFishNut

WiscoFishNut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Poor little guy is alternating between laying on the bottom or on top of the pvc tubes. At least he's upright now, this morning he would lay on his side and paddle his fins. :(

Joseph Disalvo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey buddy sorry to hear about your fish. A little optimism for ya, a buddy of mine had a clown sinker just like yours. after quarantine he decided to add him to his display once he ruled out parasites/sickness. (Was a spine issue) The little guy hosted his air stone in the corner and was able to stay a float on the air bubble stream and lived a whole year. Still his favorite fish of all time. Prays for your fish!

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is that a spot under his eye or just the way he's marked?

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 47.6%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.1%
Back