Clown Tang Success

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems I got it Nov 2019
IMG_1793-L.jpg

slightly larger than a green chromis

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Beautiful fish they are and I gave it one more shot with mine. Like a sohal tang, they can be very nasty, stress other tankmates by chasing them, they try to take all the food preventing others from eating and will disallow new fish, mainly tangs from being introduced

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Omg, the electric bill.
90% of my utilities costs come in the form of various "surcharges". I had one bill for gas last summer that had a line item of $0.96 for fuel...and yet the bill came to over $60. My four builds probably add $20 to the monthly electric (hydro) bill, but reefing is much more fun than my town's number one electricity-consuming hobby, factory home hydroponic cannabis cultivation, and it's one cost I don't mind paying. :)

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But, is 240 total water capacity?
When people say something like 240 we are giving a standard tank size so most know the dimensions. It is a standard tank size sold most places.
Tsunami 240-Gallon 96"Lx24"Wx24"H Rectangular Acrylic Aquarium Setup
963.2.jpeg

240 refers to the gallons the tank alone would hold if filled to the brim.

When I say I have a 400 gallon system that is the total of all the water in it. In my case flowing through 3 tanks and a sump.

The lights over the big tank are 1.4 kilowatts, 900 watts of heaters, 4 return pumps, 7 other pumps that run reactors, skimmers and things.
Yes it ups the electric bill a bit.

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added an orange stripe tang to the tank with the clown tang. With a little adjustment on my part it went smoothly and took 2 days.
I used an acclimation box.
In the 75
IMG_3686-S.jpg

in the 240
IMG_3698-S.jpg

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's a beauty to see Ned, and maybe some of these pics I can get my husband to let me have a 240. I am HUGE on measuring total water vs glass and empty space. I don't want to dose for 20g if my tank has 10g in it. It's a common practice.

Beautiful fish!
I just added an orange stripe tang to the tank with the clown tang. With a little adjustment on my part it went smoothly and took 2 days.
I used an acclimation box.
In the 75
IMG_3686-S.jpg

in the 240
IMG_3698-S.jpg

steveweast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always liked the clown tangs....and when I came across one that was a mere 2", I had to have him even though he was one of the first fish. Clown tangs are known to be jerks. Fortunately, mine has been a model citizen even though other tangs and butterflies were added after him. He is in a 400 gal tank.

Tangs.jpg Clown Tang.jpg

Largeangels

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Success in terms of living, eating, growing and getting fat. Yes. Success in not getting a total a** hole. No.

Last one 6-7 years back was so nasty it started chasing and biting the tails off of my fairy wrasses. Back to LFS it went.

I decided to try again and add one with my emperors so I ordered a 3-4" from my LFS. He's ok with most of the fish but hates the caribbean blue tang and is pretty nasty to the convict tang. He's about to be netted during a night time raid if it doesn't settle down.

Dixon B

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, they've been super hardy in my experience over the years, but they've also been really quick to try to assert themselves, and because of that tend to bully other fish for a while. Eventually things fall back into place with a big enough system and enough places for fish to seek refuge.

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really want one but the horror stories of how they're similar to Sohal Tangs...I'll past. I rather have my Achilles remain the bully.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always liked the clown tangs....and when I came across one that was a mere 2", I had to have him even though he was one of the first fish. Clown tangs are known to be jerks. Fortunately, mine has been a model citizen even though other tangs and butterflies were added after him. He is in a 400 gal tank.

Tangs.jpg Clown Tang.jpg
Thanks so much for stopping by, Steve!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 91 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back