Clown Tang Success

dyno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone been successful with a clown tang? They are stunning and my LFS sometimes gets in nice 6-8" specimens that are just brilliant looking. Healthy, eating, and active. Still I have never seen anyone be able to keep them long term. Any secrets?

ClownTang1.jpg

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know a prime example of clown tang success. I hope he won’t begrudge me tagging him

@WVNed

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But, is 240 total water capacity?

for practical purposes, yes. The tang has a (12ft incorrect. Please ignore) 8ft
tank it lives in. The system has a greater water volume overall, but other than filtration and stability, it doesn’t affect the tang. It’s still living in a 240g

edit. Not 12ft. 8ft. That’s what I get for trying to have a conversation while posting.

Last edited:

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for practical purposes, yes. The tang has a 12ft tank it lives in. The system has a greater water volume overall, but other than filtration and stability, it doesn’t affect the tang. It’s still living in a 240g
It's an 8 foot tank. But the total water volume helps with filtration.

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's an 8 foot tank. But the total water volume helps with filtration.

sorry, I meant 8ft. Was talking with my partner about 12 of my coworkers when I wrote that and it bled through.

my mistake

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the Clown Tang. I bought one when I added my other 4 tangs to my 240 a few weeks ago. He ate the first and second day. Next he started swimming back in forth from one end of the tank to the other. Then he started swimming into the power head. He actually swam into the power head all night. I though maybe Velvet but saw no signs of it. Died after 4 days. The other tangs I added at the same time are doing well.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Success is a wonderful thing. Now watch people buy Petco clowns.
for practical purposes, yes. The tang has a 12ft tank it lives in. The system has a greater water volume overall, but other than filtration and stability, it doesn’t affect the tang. It’s still living in a 240g

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Success is a wonderful thing. Now watch people buy Petco clowns.

I know people who still think drinking Diet Coke will make them slim when they eat more than I eat in an entire day within the context of a single meal. Then they ask why.

people will be people

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess it depends on what you mean by success I had one for 3 years and then moved and lost him in the move. I got a new one since them and he is also doing well.

From my experience in the LFS Clowns really aren't harder than any other Ancanthurus species. The one exception to this is that they do not ship well. When receiving new fish many specimens particularly large ones would die from shock immediately but of the ones that made it past the first week all did great. We transshipped all our fish so the tangs had been in bags for more than 3 days sometimes. Clown tangs really don't like this. I assume that the online vendors list them as expert only because they will be much more stressed shipping to your house than one would be if you get it from the LFS and take 20 minutes to take it home.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 41 82.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.0%
Back