Clown Trigger with Zebra Moray?

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As title says I really want to get a clown triggerfish for my 360 gallon I’m setting up. I’m aware of the potential aggression and most of the suitable tank mates however I can’t find much about compatibility with them and eels. Specifically the zebra moray because that’s what I have. Has anybody kept these two species together?

ReeferHD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
being a pebble toothed eel i dont see how there would be an issue, i have a chainlink with a bunch of smaller fish, he is pretty young though, only about 8 ish inches, as long as the trigger cant fit in the eels mouth it should be fine.

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have 2 zebras in a 300 with 5 triggers 2 groupers and 2 mini lions. no issues with the zebra eels at all,
if i had it to do over i would not have added the clown trigger as hes a bully to the other fish. my eels are both bigger

OP
OP
JC1977

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have 2 zebras in a 300 with 5 triggers 2 groupers and 2 mini lions. no issues with the zebra eels at all,
if i had it to do over i would not have added the clown trigger as hes a bully to the other fish. my eels are both bigger
Ok thanks that’s what I was concerned with. So your experience with the clown trigger is on par with everything I’ve read that once they get big they’ pretty much turn into maniacs?? I’ve always wanted one and I’ve always wondered if the bad rep they get is warranted?

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they are cool triggers for sure, but they do tend to rule the tank.. i keep mine well fed and have not had too many issues but my panther grouper is 2 or 3 times bigger than him and they tend to push each other around alot.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Over the last couple of decades ive seen clown triggers on their best behaviors and then turn monster. One thing thats for sure- They have razor sharp teeth and know how to use it. I would call this a gamble rather than ideal pairing

OP
OP
JC1977

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so since I’ve already got this thread going what are people’s thoughts on a Picasso trigger compared to clown trigger temperament?

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
picasso is a good call they are mellow
i have the clown , a pair of nigers and a pair of blue throats they all get along but the trigger keeps them in the rocks when he gets excited.

OP
OP
JC1977

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok just checking Marine Collectors has a quarantined clown trigger and a quarantined picasso for sale right now. I love the clown trigger color but yeah the reputation scares me I may play it safe and go with the picasso.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok just checking Marine Collectors has a quarantined clown trigger and a quarantined picasso for sale right now. I love the clown trigger color but yeah the reputation scares me I may play it safe and go with the picasso.

How big is the clown trigger, that's the tell, really anything over 4" is a tale of 2 triggers. When purchased at a larger size the chances for a super aggressive clown trigger goes up. Starting with a smaller one and the chances of a good citizen goes up. Raising your own baby trigger, now you're talking. Clown triggers don't really grow that fast and don't end up being that large, will stay well below 10". Many times you will find other variables like too small of tank and inappropriate tankmates will lead to the negative reports. 300g is a nice tank for a clown trigger and they'll likely pay no mind to a zebra eel. This is one of those fish that may be ballistic towards any new comers, so considering it your last fish may be a good idea.

OP
OP
JC1977

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is the clown trigger, that's the tell, really anything over 4" is a tale of 2 triggers. When purchased at a larger size the chances for a super aggressive clown trigger goes up. Starting with a smaller one and the chances of a good citizen goes up. Raising your own baby trigger, now you're talking. Clown triggers don't really grow that fast and don't end up being that large, will stay well below 10". Many times you will find other variables like too small of tank and inappropriate tankmates will lead to the negative reports. 300g is a nice tank for a clown trigger and they'll likely pay no mind to a zebra eel. This is one of those fish that may be ballistic towards any new comers, so considering it your last fish may be a good idea.
The website has the clown trigger listed as 3-4”. I know you’ve kept quite a few of them reading your post so what’s your thoughts? Is this fish already too big and more inclined to have a nasty temperament? I wanted him because I know he’s fully quarantined already.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The website has the clown trigger listed as 3-4”. I know you’ve kept quite a few of them reading your post so what’s your thoughts? Is this fish already too big and more inclined to have a nasty temperament? I wanted him because I know he’s fully quarantined already.

Where is the progress of the stocking of your tank and what else are you planning. I see the clown trigger very differently than most, it's really when they are acquired at larger sizes they become dangerous, that is a size I would consider. And as I have mentioned; tank size, appropriate tank mates, and not over stocking being the key variables. You really can never tell, they will get some attitude at some point. But if the tank isn't overstocked and his tank mates are also tough, they will usually be fine in a 300g. The zebra will be large enough and will likely not be perceived as competition, so most times the clown trigger will ignore them. Other fish will need to be tough enough, don't be surprised about skirmishes, it really is the trigger way. Many people will freak out with the natural behavior of triggers. I've had tanks where my triggers were always scraped up. I had a niger that would wrestle with my jeweled eel and always lose, but the clown wouldn't bother.

OP
OP
JC1977

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My game plan for the 360 is my queen and emperor angels a pair of blue line angels a porcupine puffer Red Sea sailfin tang an orange shoulder tang zebra moray and my magnificent fox face. The only other fish I was considering is a sohal tang which I’ve read are on par with the clown triggers aggression. So aside from the possible addition of the sohal the clown trigger would be last fish in.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They would fit right in. I would only rethink the sohal, I think they are wonderful, but honestly rarely hear anything good outside of 1000g.

Last edited:

Go The Eels

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They would fit right in. I would only rethink the sohal, I think they are wonderful, but honestly rarely hear anything good outside of 1000g.
@lion king , would love your take: For my Zebra and Banana Eel setup (both are eating and doing GREAT by the way), if I were to get a pair of triggerfish for my 6 foot, 150 gallon would you suggest a Picasso and Niger, or Picasso and Clown?

Pretty settled on the Picasso, but would love a second trigger and I love the look of these both. It kinda comes down to an aggressiveness/size debate for me. Happy to raise both from as tiny as I can find.

Also, would getting either the Niger or Clown preclude me from adding in a purple tang or larger sized angelfish afterward? Thanks in advance as always!

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ooo triggers with lions, now that is a gamble. How is it working out?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back