Clownfish acting really sick

tjbrownie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Came to my tank this afternoon and my clownfish(perfectly fine yesterday) is now doing this. No ick spots or extra mucus. Breathing fast and just acting off.
image.jpg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Have you checked your ammonia/parameters? was the fish quarantined. With this picture - it's difficult to tell what's going on.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Came to my tank this afternoon and my clownfish(perfectly fine yesterday) is now doing this. No ick spots or extra mucus. Breathing fast and just acting off.
image.jpg

This clown is somewhat moribund and has a definitive hole on its side which could have stemmed from a sting or puncture or even bite from a tankmate. It may become a bacterial issue. Gill is inflamed which is often a sign of flukes or early stage brooklynella
What tank mates do you have, and have you noticed any aggression ?
Any hammers or anemones in tank?

Consider setting up a quarantine tank and add oxygen for fish by adding airstone.
Water- What is current ammonia-nitrate-ph level ?

Julbra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had him? Has he stopped eating? Did you check your water parameters?

I don't see particularly fast breathing in the video. Clowns often act strange, but certainly to be watched if it carries on.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This clown is somewhat moribund and has a definitive hole on its side which could have stemmed from a sting or puncture or even bite from a tankmate. It may become a bacterial issue. Gill is inflamed which is often a sign of flukes or early stage brooklynella

Consider setting up a quarantine tank and add oxygen for fish by adding airstone.
BTW - If I had to pick one thing - without knowing anything else - I agree (without the video) - that it could very well be an injury)

OP
OP
tjbrownie

tjbrownie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That “hole” is just a spot. I think. I have emerald crabs, a hammer coral, 1 urchin and a cleaner shrimp along with my male clown. I just tried feeding and it got no response. Let me test water rn. Setting up quarantine as we speak

OP
OP
tjbrownie

tjbrownie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’ve had her a couple months

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
That “hole” is just a spot. I think. I have emerald crabs, a hammer coral, 1 urchin and a cleaner shrimp along with my male clown. I just tried feeding and it got no response. Let me test water rn. Setting up quarantine as we speak
may be a hammer sting as was first suspected or urchin puncture which would send fish into displayed behavior

OP
OP
tjbrownie

tjbrownie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
may be a hammer sting as was first suspected or urchin puncture which would send fish into displayed behavior
Could it have been my candy cane coral he’s been putting his stingers out every night and being super aggressive?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
So what should I do
You mentioned quarantine, which is good. Provide oxygen and keep an eye on it as if a sting or puncture, it should heal BUT should it become infected, you will need to add treatment such as Maracyn 2 or Seachem kanaplex

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Could it have been my candy cane coral he’s been putting his stingers out every night and being super aggressive?
Likely not and candy cane at night send out feeders

OP
OP
tjbrownie

tjbrownie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mentioned quarantine, which is good. Provide oxygen and keep an eye on it as if a sting or puncture, it should heal BUT should it become infected, you will need to add treatment such as Maracyn 2 or Seachem kanaplex
Ammonia is at 0. I have two options to quarantine. I have my old quarantine that has copper residue or use one of my 5 gallon buckets. Should I use cycled water from the tank or new water. She is kind of swimming around now. Still “fast” breathing idk. Did you watch the video? Didn’t eat either.

OP
OP
tjbrownie

tjbrownie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had him? Has he stopped eating? Did you check your water parameters?

I don't see particularly fast breathing in the video. Clowns often act strange, but certainly to be watched if it carries on.
Not fast breathing? She didn’t eat this morning but did eat last night. Ammonia is at 0. I’ve had her a couple months.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Patience

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Ammonia is at 0. I have two options to quarantine. I have my old quarantine that has copper residue or use one of my 5 gallon buckets. Should I use cycled water from the tank or new water. She is kind of swimming around now. Still “fast” breathing idk. Did you watch the video? Didn’t eat either.
In the video as mentioned , is distress- moribund. Typical behavior from sting/puncture/ crashing into object when startled

OP
OP
tjbrownie

tjbrownie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the video as mentioned , is distress- moribund. Typical behavior from sting/puncture/ crashing into object when startled
I put her in this for temporary analysis and to avoid causing stress if I have to catch her later
image.jpg

Tho I’m not sure if it’s urchin puncture. I used to have a diadema urchin but only have a pincushion now so I’m not sure.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 87 79.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.6%
Back