Clownfish aggression?

Mattj815

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey so I had a pair of clownfish in a qt tank for a little bit now and saw no aggression from either. They were swimming together and even sleeping in the same pvc tube.

I just went to transfer to the main tank and had them both in a small glass bowl for a few minutes. While in there they were locking mouths which I heard isnt good.

Now theyre in the tank and still a little aggressive. One is def a little bigger than the other and they came from a tank with multiple clowns in there.

Think this will be ok?

hijinks7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if the bigger one is only aggressive to the smaller one then some aggression is normal. Its just the female telling the male who is boss.

OP
OP
M

Mattj815

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if the bigger one is only aggressive to the smaller one then some aggression is normal. Its just the female telling the male who is boss.

So the whole jaw locking thing isnt exclusive to only a female to female interaction? It can occasionally happen with male and female?

hijinks7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as they both aren't female you are ok.. post some pics to show their size.

OP
OP
M

Mattj815

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of hard to get a good side by side theyre like my kids and wont listen.

But I did see the smaller one do that little vibrating thing once. So far they seem pretty good. Maybe that bowl was just too close for comfort and was stressed out a little.

They are a davinci and snowflake. That doesnt matter does it? From everything I read and the advice of the lfs didnt sound like a problem.

20180429_130214.jpg

OP
OP
M

Mattj815

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to bring this back since its been a little bit. My two clowns are still going at it.

Theyre still the only 2 fish in the tank. I see the smaller do the shaky stanky leg once in a while. But just saw the bigger one biting onto the smallers body. They both look healthy, eat swim etc. They even swim together often. Is this ok? Should I swap one out?

fishnchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to bring this back since its been a little bit. My two clowns are still going at it.

They're still the only 2 fish in the tank. I see the smaller do the shaky stanky leg once in a while. But just saw the bigger one biting onto the smaller body. They both look healthy, eat swim etc. They even swim together often. Is this ok? Should I swap one out?
I've been told that as long as the two don't hate each other's guts and get along for most of the time, then they should pair up. My clowns don't "love" each other and still nip at each other's fins. But with time I think it'll be resolved!

Weikel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends how bad it is. Sometimes the females do it forever. I wouldn’t worry about it too much unless one of them starts getting hurt like ripped up fins and what not. Clowns are just jerks imo and remember they are a type of damsel fish which a infamous for being mean...

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back