Clownfish alternatives to rotifers

yeon.joon.hong

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard from a couple people on here and youtube as well that you can start feeding baby brine shrimp and hikari first bites starting day 1, is this true? and I couldn't find a direct answer online so how long will clownfish larvae after hatching be able to live off their yolksacs

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've heard from a couple people on here and youtube as well that you can start feeding baby brine shrimp and hikari first bites starting day 1, is this true? and I couldn't find a direct answer online so how long will clownfish larvae after hatching be able to live off their yolksacs
You 'can' - but IME most of the fry will not survive
Clownfish larvae live on their yolk sacs until they are gone.
There are a couple specialty food manufacturers that make ultra small food for fry - but It is ultra small. much smaller than 'first-bites'. From my experience - anything but live food results in high mortality. Obviously - though - there are multiple reports of people finding baby clowns in their sump/refugium - so some will make it

OP
OP
Y

yeon.joon.hong

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You 'can' - but IME most of the fry will not survive
Clownfish larvae live on their yolk sacs until they are gone.
There are a couple specialty food manufacturers that make ultra small food for fry - but It is ultra small. much smaller than 'first-bites'. From my experience - anything but live food results in high mortality. Obviously - though - there are multiple reports of people finding baby clowns in their sump/refugium - so some will make it
when will their yolk sacs be gone? can they even eat brine shrimp? like will it fit in their mouths

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
when will their yolk sacs be gone? can they even eat brine shrimp? like will it fit in their mouths
It varies on temperature, etc - once they become free-swimming, you'll know. It is usually considered that baby brine shrimp are too large for baby clowns

OP
OP
Y

yeon.joon.hong

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It varies on temperature, etc - once they become free-swimming, you'll know. It is usually considered that baby brine shrimp are too large for baby clowns
what do you mean free swimming? can't they swim right after they hatch? from all the videos I watched they can swim on hatch night.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
what do you mean free swimming? can't they swim right after they hatch? from all the videos I watched they can swim on hatch night.
I think either you or I am mixing terms. You asked about the yolk sac. there is no reason to feed the fry when they have the yolk sac. Once they release from their rock - their yolk sac is practically gone - and they float around for a bit - and swim. In any case - they cannot (for the most part) eat baby brine shrimp - which was your question

OP
OP
Y

yeon.joon.hong

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think either you or I am mixing terms. You asked about the yolk sac. there is no reason to feed the fry when they have the yolk sac. Once they release from their rock - their yolk sac is practically gone - and they float around for a bit - and swim. In any case - they cannot (for the most part) eat baby brine shrimp - which was your question
will they be able to eat them bettter if I lower the temperature of the water so the eggs come out more developed? so they have bigger mouths and bigger bodies for catching BBS

Back