Clownfish at LFS

jk_s124

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I recently lost the male of my clownfish pair. I had a 1 1/2 to 2 year old perc and a 1 year old Ocellaris. My smaller ocellareris jumped into the back chamber of my biocube 29 and didn't make it. I have since learned from my mistake and made a fish guard protecting my other fish from the same fate. I'm now looking to replace my ocellaris. My son and I went last week to our LFS and picked out 2 good looking smaller, but not too small ocellaris clownfish. My family and I stopped back tonight and I talked to the employee of the store who is in charge of ordering the saltwater fish. He said that the two we are interested in have been at the store since July. If this is true, should I have any concern about these fish having transitioned into females? One was in a tank with a saphire damsel and the other was with several very young clownfish.

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would need to find a smaller clown than the on you have now

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Femal is the bigger one and the male is smaller

OP
OP
jk_s124

jk_s124

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think my wording in my original post was clear. We picked two clown fish to observe for a few weeks before buying. We are trying to find a smaller male to pair with our female percula. The concern is after finding out how long these two clown fish have been at the store, is there a good chance that they have transitioned to female? I'm trying to avoid buying another female.

MarinaP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I unterstood you the first time.
Dont buy cb clowns from your lfs, find a dedicated breeder. There will be significantly less chance of an illness or ending up with a male transitioning to a female.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 27.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 33.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 31.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back