Clownfish Beating Up On Candy Basslet

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, not that kind of candy basslet. It’s a pair of swales candy basslets (though my LFS does have a single candy basslet for $1500 haha).

There is a clown that’s about the same size as the two basslets in my Fluval 13.5, and I’m noticing more and more chasing, and now the basslets’ fins are looking a little ragged. It’s not intense chasing, but apparently he’s doing some damage.

I put the clown in a breeder box for now, but was hoping for some ideas to deal with this.

Would getting a nem help him settle in better, or just make him more territorial? Any other ideas? Thanks, all!

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Not a surprise and that clown I’m sure the larger of the two needs a time out either in acclimation box or sump for about 2 weeks

OP
OP
Adamantium

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a surprise and that clown I’m sure the larger of the two needs a time out either in acclimation box or sump for about 2 weeks
What makes it not surprising? I didn’t think basslets and clownfish would have issues together, but I guess I was wrong.

You really think he might ease up after two weeks, though? I’m worried he’ll just go right back to his old ways.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
What makes it not surprising? I didn’t think basslets and clownfish would have issues together, but I guess I was wrong.

You really think he might ease up after two weeks, though? I’m worried he’ll just go right back to his old ways.
Their bullying tactics as the female can get out of control and territorial

OP
OP
Adamantium

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, bottom line, do you really think a two week time out will do the trick? Or is this just their personality?

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Part of your issue is the tank size. A clown is normally going to want a square foot or two of territory. In a 13 gallon tank that’s not leaving a lot of room for error.

I’ve kept clowns in tanks as small as 20 gallons and had better luck with more rugged small fish like damsels. Once you get up to 36 inch and longer tanks, it gets much easier for them to coexist with other peaceful fish.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

winner winner clown dinner....

JK. the other fish just need to claim some ground while the clown looses its claims a tad and will chill out

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is pretty small, which increases chances of aggression towards the pair of basslets. Clowns even Ocellaris / Percula / Skunks are still fairly territorial especially in smaller spaces. I’m afraid you’ll have to take the Clowns out for the sake of your basslets. Can you move them to another setup? If you had something like a 3-foot 40 gallon breeder, I’d say you have a better chance of getting them to coexist but that’s on the large side for a nano.

OP
OP
Adamantium

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. To make a long story short, here’s the one that made it. He/she’s doing super well, and the tank is nicely balanced. It has a clam, a nem, and a 14 inch toadstool leather, with tons of rock rubble for this guy to play in.

Attachments

• IMG_2711.MOV
    20.6 MB
  • DABD58E9-9F03-48C0-8561-FF5F60312ECF.png
    DABD58E9-9F03-48C0-8561-FF5F60312ECF.png
    805.3 KB · Views: 18

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 26 51.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 27 52.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 9 17.6%
  • None.

Votes: 11 21.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.9%
Back