Clownfish Breeding Data Journal Begins!!!

OP
OP
LatinKing

LatinKing

Clownfish Breeder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7th spawn 3rd day. Hopefully there's success this time around.
28e6029e3edfbc8b82123b42da7d4432.jpg

TDS ZERO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use brand new salt water for the hatch tank
Feed the newly hatched clownfish rotifer
Make sure your light is not too strong
Tint the water green with a phyto
Keep the lights on 24hrs for the first 5 days
You good

OP
OP
LatinKing

LatinKing

Clownfish Breeder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use brand new salt water for the hatch tank
Feed the newly hatched clownfish rotifer
Make sure your light is not too strong
Tint the water green with a phyto
Keep the lights on 24hrs for the first 5 days
You good
Brand New water is made 2 days before taking out the pot 8th day. Temp and salinty of the larva tank is the same as the parent tank. Rotifer is fed and the tank water is tinted with phytoplankton.

Now I thought no light.

TDS ZERO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No light ? Are you keeping the light on 24hrs after the hatch ? That made the biggest difference with me
What is your temp
Salinity
What are you using to green the water
To get the best help need to know more
Sounds like this next batch or two should make it

OP
OP
LatinKing

LatinKing

Clownfish Breeder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No light ? Are you keeping the light on 24hrs after the hatch ? That made the biggest difference with me
What is your temp
Salinity
What are you using to green the water
To get the best help need to know more
Sounds like this next batch or two should make it
My understanding around midnight the lights stay off the day of the hatch. Because any light will make the larva plunge down to there death. In the morning it's when the rotifer should be introduce the the larva tank. First I scoop to cups of live rotifer from my cultural. Feed the rotifer with rotifer food. Then feed the rotifer to the larva tank. I tint the larva tank with live phytoplankton and roti-reef. Temp I keep it at 82 the same as the parents tank. Salinity 1.020 the same as the parents tank.
cf01519bb0e7857de9ce3fb231950131.jpg

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My understanding around midnight the lights stay off the day of the hatch. Because any light will make the larva plunge down to there death. In the morning it's when the rotifer should be introduce the the larva tank. First I scoop to cups of live rotifer from my cultural. Feed the rotifer with rotifer food. Then feed the rotifer to the larva tank. I tint the larva tank with live phytoplankton and roti-reef. Temp I keep it at 82 the same as the parents tank. Salinity 1.020 the same as the parents tank.
cf01519bb0e7857de9ce3fb231950131.jpg

Just a little advice. I too am a breeder, lots of clowns, blennys, Gobies and shrimp. If u want to maximize your production for the rotifers to around 1.015. Rotifers should be introduced immediately. Larval clownfish have a yolk sack but will still start eating what they can see. The tinted water helps with that, along with keeping rotifers alive. I would NEVER EVER dump the nasty culture water into my larval tank. Never. Ever. LOL. That’s all. Sorry to but in. I am following your thread. I just had about 100 baby Blackline Blennys. They have suck great personality. And go for a decent wholesale price.
8a576b916b397e68b470c3c63f9fa3e2.jpg

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you set up your lighting? And did I see that you keep them in darkness for 24 hours? Or did I read wrong ?

OP
OP
LatinKing

LatinKing

Clownfish Breeder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a little advice. I too am a breeder, lots of clowns, blennys, Gobies and shrimp. If u want to maximize your production for the rotifers to around 1.015. Rotifers should be introduced immediately. Larval clownfish have a yolk sack but will still start eating what they can see. The tinted water helps with that, along with keeping rotifers alive. I would NEVER EVER dump the nasty culture water into my larval tank. Never. Ever. LOL. That’s all. Sorry to but in. I am following your thread. I just had about 100 baby Blackline Blennys. They have suck great personality. And go for a decent wholesale price.
8a576b916b397e68b470c3c63f9fa3e2.jpg
Please appreciate any advice. Please butt in..lol the rotifer I keep at 1.019 will lowered if recommended. As for the rotifer I always always strain through a sleeve. I never dump the rotifer with the water. As for the lightning I kept the light off.
If light us recommended; what light should I use and when should the light be on?

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was raising clowns I would use a 10g with 5g of water from the parent tank. The night before the hatch I would transfer the pot into the tank and add the bubbler with the tank completely blacked out. I would turn the light on in the AM and at that I would dim it. I used rotigrow plus from reed mariculture. It’s a little pricey but well worth the money imo. I used it to feed the rots as well as to tint the water. I would also add the rots and tint the night of the hatch so the food was there when the fry hatched. Another thing that made a difference for me was cleaning the fry tank well between each clutch. I used vinegar to clean. I was loosing whole clutches when I did not.

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way I have the same clowns breeding for me, a Picasso from Doni and a bali, I haven’t had the time to raise them unfortunately. I look forward to seeing your fry grow out.

OP
OP
LatinKing

LatinKing

Clownfish Breeder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was raising clowns I would use a 10g with 5g of water from the parent tank. The night before the hatch I would transfer the pot into the tank and add the bubbler with the tank completely blacked out. I would turn the light on in the AM and at that I would dim it. I used rotigrow plus from reed mariculture. It’s a little pricey but well worth the money imo. I used it to feed the rots as well as to tint the water. I would also add the rots and tint the night of the hatch so the food was there when the fry hatched. Another thing that made a difference for me was cleaning the fry tank well between each clutch. I used vinegar to clean. I was loosing whole clutches when I did not.
I'm doing all of that except the lightning. Except I make new saltwater for the larva tank.

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve found that what works for one person doesn’t necessarily work for another, too many variables. It takes some time to nail it down and find out what works for you. If you make a change only change one thing at a time so you know what made the difference.

I always figured they’d do best in conditions the same as where they were laid, that’s why I used the parent tank water.

OP
OP
LatinKing

LatinKing

Clownfish Breeder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve found that what works for one person doesn’t necessarily work for another, too many variables. It takes some time to nail it down and find out what works for you. If you make a change only change one thing at a time so you know what made the difference.

I always figured they’d do best in conditions the same as where they were laid, that’s why I used the parent tank water.
Exactly what my wife said, in a matter of time I will nail it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
LatinKing

LatinKing

Clownfish Breeder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today is the 3rd day since day have hatch. Somewhere 50 plus swimming around. Feeding rotifer 3x a day and sucking out the bottom of the tank of 32oz water and slowing dripping back new saltwater.

By the end of day the Picasso will lay another clutch today. Looks like I need to buy a few 10g tanks.

Heres a video link of day 2 since day hatch.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.8%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back