Clownfish Breeding Data Journal Begins!!!

LatinKing

Clownfish Breeder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi ALL
I'm starting a clownfish breeding data journal, one to share and secondly to use this as a learning curve. After talking to WesleyC who been very helpful I thought why not start a data journal to keep the progress on my Picasso pair.

General

Name: Snowcasso & Bali Picasso
Scientific Name:
Amphiprion percula
Size of Individuals: 3" & 2"
Age of Individuals: 3 yrs & 2 yrs

The spawning pair have been together since September 2016
Female is a Snowcasso which came to me from TBA just after they purchase Snowcasso from Doni in 2015 The male is Bali Picasso X Black Mask Cquest Onyx bred by BoostaS4 acquired September 2016 The bond was almost instantly within 2 days of course with a little help from me.

Tank
Currently the pair in question are in a 10g glass tank. Divided with a black acrylic baffle purchase from sponsor Melevs Reef. Because the tank is only temporary until I have a breeder tank build this will make do for now. Again I am just getting into this again from a few years back, i have successfully breeded Onyx Clownfish. But its been awhile so im starting all over again. Back to the tank setup. It has a custom Hangover refugium buikd by a local with Hydor slim -skimmer.

Water Temp
81-83 degrees

Lightning
The lighting is a cheap LED strip from eBay, and 50w heater. Setup on a timer from 10AM-10PM

Feeding
New Life Spectrum Grow, Flakes, LRS Fertility Frenzy, San Fransisco Sally's Frozen Brine Sprimp, and occasionally TDO Chrome Boost. Feeding 5-6 times a day.

WC
1 to 2 times a week. Depending on the water quality, still use a net to pickup and remaining food on the bottom.

Spawning
First time when first seen eggs was in the main tank, a 66g SC Aquarium rimless. The eggs were hidden by there rose bubble tip anemone. I notice because the pair were trying to fan away the other fish trying to eat them. So immediately I took the pair out and put them in a 10g tank I had in my garage.

Second spawn was a small cluster on a tile. Was a week before hurricane Irma. Excited but a few things happen wrong. Firstly, I took out the eggs to soon. Then afterward "Hurricane Irma" came to Florida and did some damage to our state. The worst of it, I lost power for 16 hours. The tanks had no heat, or movement. The Larva tank water was cold 65-68 degrees. The following day the eggs hatch, roughly around 10 I saw swimming. The rotifer that was purchase was that good, was not enough.

Now I'm waiting on the 3rd spawn, and I know its very close. Their eating more, and her belly looks very large. The male is cleaning and biting the pot. I see her bite the pot but not as often. I know once I see them both biting the pot aggressively, then its usually the day she will spawn.

So I will keep you posted soon.
tba_snowcasso.jpg
tba_snowcasso2.jpg

Last edited:

Palyzoa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, It will be interesting to see the whole process that goes into breeding clown fish. Following along!

OP
OP
LatinKing

LatinKing

Clownfish Breeder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Culturing rotifers its been over a month, now I have to 5 gallon buckets, holding about 4 gallons.
About every 4-5 days a do a 1 gallon water change. The count in each bucket is about 5 millions rotifer.
Feeding my rotifer with phyto-max. I get my rotifer and phyto-max locally from ADNUP Aquatics.
rotifer.jpg

Sharkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be following as well. Question for you. Will your breeding tank be plumbed to a sump when you build it? And second question will your grow out tank be plumbed to a sump? If so the same sump as your breeding tank or different sumps? Thanks!

OP
OP
LatinKing

LatinKing

Clownfish Breeder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be following as well. Question for you. Will your breeding tank be plumbed to a sump when you build it? And second question will your grow out tank be plumbed to a sump? If so the same sump as your breeding tank or different sumps? Thanks!
Yes the new breeding system will be plumbed to a sump, as well as the grow out. Just don't know yet how many tanks will comprise the system. In most cases will start on a small scale with options to add on.

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Culturing rotifers its been over a month, now I have to 5 gallon buckets, holding about 4 gallons.
About every 4-5 days a do a 1 gallon water change. The count in each bucket is about 5 millions rotifer.
Feeding my rotifer with phyto-max. I get my rotifer and phyto-max locally from ADNUP Aquatics.
rotifer.jpg

Nice clear batches. My are good but not that good....right after cleaning or just really good Phyto?

OP
OP
LatinKing

LatinKing

Clownfish Breeder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today they spawned very excited.
Day #1 -the cluster looks larger than the second. How mush bigger, hard to say since the eggs are almost the same color of the pot, and I need to clean the front glass. I will take pics tomorrow with my smart phone hopefully to get a clear picture of the eggs. Observing the male so busy fanning to aerate the eggs and keep them clean.
Rotifer I did a 1 gallon WC and and bottle a few in the refrigerator as a backup, just in case.

Mcole

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I was wondering, can the fry survive high aeration, as in lots of bubbles or would that kill them because they aren't strong swimmers yet?

Mcole

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it any good if I have incredibly green notifier water?

OP
OP
LatinKing

LatinKing

Clownfish Breeder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#3 Day - the cluster is quite small about 20+ eggs the eggs are dark in color. Male still fans them.
Just getting ready to setup the larva tank purchase a 10g at Petco for $1 a gallon. FYI starts on December 26th
Purchase some craft paint non toxic acrylic paint black for the outside glass, and the bottom in white.

OP
OP
LatinKing

LatinKing

Clownfish Breeder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#3 Day - the cluster is quite small about 20+ eggs the eggs are dark in color. Male still fans them.
Just getting ready to setup the larva tank purchase a 10g at Petco for $1 a gallon. FYI starts on December 26th
Purchase some craft paint non toxic acrylic paint black for the outside glass, and the bottom in white.
December 30th spawned #4
Today is the 4th day eggs have darken and the cluster is much larger. The Rotifer culture doing well. And the larva tank is ready. Just debating how will I handle the day of hatching either move the pot or siphon the larva.
5b8235fbd86d45c39738cc13f60e3d25.jpg

OP
OP
LatinKing

LatinKing

Clownfish Breeder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
December 30th spawned #4
Today is the 4th day eggs have darken and the cluster is much larger. The Rotifer culture doing well. And the larva tank is ready. Just debating how will I handle the day of hatching either move the pot or siphon the larva.
5b8235fbd86d45c39738cc13f60e3d25.jpg
I've decided to buy a vossen larvae trap, looking at YouTube and the reviews I think $55 is worth it. Hopefully I should have it before Saturday hatch day.

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've decided to buy a vossen larvae trap, looking at YouTube and the reviews I think $55 is worth it. Hopefully I should have it before Saturday hatch day.

You can make a home made one for 2$

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How old were your clowns at first spawn, any estimate age? The Voss trap does exactly what it advertises. Good thing about a trap such as this or a diy pvc/2-liter or scaleable size, is that more fry Survive. What size rotifers are you going to use ?

OP
OP
LatinKing

LatinKing

Clownfish Breeder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old were your clowns at first spawn, any estimate age? The Voss trap does exactly what it advertises. Good thing about a trap such as this or a diy pvc/2-liter or scaleable size, is that more fry Survive. What size rotifers are you going to use ?
The female is 3 years and the male is 2 yrs.

OP
OP
LatinKing

LatinKing

Clownfish Breeder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20180121_130646.jpg
2nd pair, might be too young! Just purchase a female C-quest Onyx for my male Black Tail/Face Onyx Picasso Clownfish. My major concern was pairing!
Why, the male Blacktail/face onyx picasso was purchase last June 2016 and previously I had introduce a c-quest onyx female who beat him up. She chew up his
spiny dorsal fin and soft dorsal fin where it was completely gone. Even both Pectoral fins were damage. No choice to remove the male and I put him in my DT where there were plenty of space to hide. However I had a pair of large Lightning Maroon that was always chasing him. Finally I setup a tank where he was alone. My concern if he was going to change into a female. My guess hasn't been too long to change..well I hope. I knew the C-quest onyx was truly a female because of the size and its been in the system alone for couple of months. Anyhow the true test was yesterday when I introduce the female to the male. Any hostility or aggressive by either one can only tell me the male changed to female. I watched for several hours, fed them and both at not being bother with a new tank mate. Today is the second day and there getting along well. Crossing my fingers to see the bond, once I see both in the pot. Will be getting soon 2 more pairs of Bali Aquarich Black Picasso with helmets....next week...can't wait. Currently building a new system. that will be on a new topic.

Brandon Smith

AquaticArsenal.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20180121_130646.jpg
2nd pair, might be too young! Just purchase a female C-quest Onyx for my male Black Tail/Face Onyx Picasso Clownfish. My major concern was pairing!
Why, the male Blacktail/face onyx picasso was purchase last June 2016 and previously I had introduce a c-quest onyx female who beat him up. She chew up his
spiny dorsal fin and soft dorsal fin where it was completely gone. Even both Pectoral fins were damage. No choice to remove the male and I put him in my DT where there were plenty of space to hide. However I had a pair of large Lightning Maroon that was always chasing him. Finally I setup a tank where he was alone. My concern if he was going to change into a female. My guess hasn't been too long to change..well I hope. I knew the C-quest onyx was truly a female because of the size and its been in the system alone for couple of months. Anyhow the true test was yesterday when I introduce the female to the male. Any hostility or aggressive by either one can only tell me the male changed to female. I watched for several hours, fed them and both at not being bother with a new tank mate. Today is the second day and there getting along well. Crossing my fingers to see the bond, once I see both in the pot. Will be getting soon 2 more pairs of Bali Aquarich Black Picasso with helmets....next week...can't wait. Currently building a new system. that will be on a new topic.
Any updates?

Back