Clownfish brooklynella…

jonelder68

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 13, 2023
Messages
1,961
Reaction score
3,211
Location
Olathe
What state or country do you live in
Kansas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seems one of my clownfish have caught brooklynella @vetteguy53081 says. The clowns were my first fish to add about 5-6 months ago. I’ve tried to do everything right and ordered all my last fish from @Dr. Reef for last 4 months. Last order was received 4 weeks ago. No issues until today I noticed one my clowns color was off/dull.
IMG_8092.png
IMG_8091.png


Vetteguy suggests QT and treatment with Ruby rally pro. All 14 fish being…
2- clowns
1- chalk bass
1- yellow tang
2- melanurus wrasse
3- ignitus anthias
4- dispar Anthias
1- flame angle

All I currently have is a 20L for QT with a tidal HOB with media seeded in sump.

I leave for an out of town trip tomorrow and won’t be back until Sunday night so unable to grab any supplies or anything until probably Monday next week. By then it will probably be too late.

I don’t have any corals currently just tons of macro algae’s . Would dosing the DT with ruby rally pro be better off? I’m unsure of what size tank i would need to QT separate and would also have to grab some sand for the wrasses. Ughhhh not sure how I can find time for all this. Some days I just feel like quitting before I get anymore invested in this again. Anyways any thoughts besides I’m screwed 😢
 
do you have a friend/family member who can come check on things while youre gone?
Ya my wife will be home but I don’t have time to set up QT tonight before leaving. Plus I don’t have any medication/rubby rally pro on hand I’ve gotta order some.
 
seems one of my clownfish have caught brooklynella @vetteguy53081 says. The clowns were my first fish to add about 5-6 months ago. I’ve tried to do everything right and ordered all my last fish from @Dr. Reef for last 4 months. Last order was received 4 weeks ago. No issues until today I noticed one my clowns color was off/dull.
IMG_8092.png
IMG_8091.png


Vetteguy suggests QT and treatment with Ruby rally pro. All 14 fish being…
2- clowns
1- chalk bass
1- yellow tang
2- melanurus wrasse
3- ignitus anthias
4- dispar Anthias
1- flame angle

All I currently have is a 20L for QT with a tidal HOB with media seeded in sump.

I leave for an out of town trip tomorrow and won’t be back until Sunday night so unable to grab any supplies or anything until probably Monday next week. By then it will probably be too late.

I don’t have any corals currently just tons of macro algae’s . Would dosing the DT with ruby rally pro be better off? I’m unsure of what size tank i would need to QT separate and would also have to grab some sand for the wrasses. Ughhhh not sure how I can find time for all this. Some days I just feel like quitting before I get anymore invested in this again. Anyways any thoughts besides I’m screwed 😢
This happens especially with wild caught clowns.
 
This happens especially with wild caught clowns.
He’s captive bred from a local breeder, “the clownfish shop”. So is it possible he’s had it for 5-6 months and just now showing symptoms? Or is it most likely brought in with my last fish additions weeks ago? (4 dispar Anthias and captive bred flame angle)
 
He’s captive bred from a local breeder, “the clownfish shop”. So is it possible he’s had it for 5-6 months and just now showing symptoms? Or is it most likely brought in with my last fish additions weeks ago? (4 dispar Anthias and captive bred flame angle)
Yes or can be from overfeeding/over-crowding and poor water quality or stress. Also addition of new fish who brought it in
 
All done with peroxide bath. He did well and is back in DT for now. He ate some TDO pellet and is tucked away in his bed for lights out shortly.
 
Well for time being I’m trying a 30min hydrogen peroxide bath as that’s all I have on hand. Hopefully can buy me some time.
IMG_8094.jpeg
Yes, that will, at the very minimum, buy you some time and give the fish relief. Good call. I’m not sure who gave you that advice, but it was a very smart one.
 
Yes, that will, at the very minimum, buy you some time and give the fish relief. Good call. I’m not sure who gave you that advice, but it was a very smart one.
Thank you as always coach! I’d say I owe you a beer but we’re probably up to a keg of beer by now 🤣
 
Ruby Rally Pro ordered from chewy. Local branch said had in stock so usually shows up that day. So hopefully will be here tomorrow and I’ll have enough time to do the 90 minute bath in it before I leave for the weekend. Then to figure out game plan once I’m back.
 
He’s captive bred from a local breeder, “the clownfish shop”. So is it possible he’s had it for 5-6 months and just now showing symptoms? Or is it most likely brought in with my last fish additions weeks ago? (4 dispar Anthias and captive bred flame angle)
It’s also possible, your macros are what possibly brought it in.
I find many people miss that part of the hobby, fish disease comes in on anything. Macros, Coral, frag plugs, anything that comes in risks fish disease. It may be clean of pests but unfortunately unless a 2-3 month long fallow has been done on anything which enters the system, it will bring in a disease of some form. But as many retailers face, we bring in too much to be able to do a true fallow on anything - a lot of the time, it lands, stays resting for a day or two, then it hits the saw and gets chopped to rest for a couple of days and then out the door it goes, ready for the next batch to land.
 
It’s also possible, your macros are what possibly brought it in.
I find many people miss that part of the hobby, fish disease comes in on anything. Macros, Coral, frag plugs, anything that comes in risks fish disease. It may be clean of pests but unfortunately unless a 2-3 month long fallow has been done on anything which enters the system, it will bring in a disease of some form. But as many retailers face, we bring in too much to be able to do a true fallow on anything - a lot of the time, it lands, stays resting for a day or two, then it hits the saw and gets chopped to rest for a couple of days and then out the door it goes, ready for the next batch to land.
Interesting. I didn’t know that. Macros all grew from TBS LR except for the Pom Pom. But I got it 5-6 months ago from clownfish breeder/same time as clown fish.

So anything introduced in the last 3 months most likely brought it in? Which would mean only my 2 orders of Dr. Reefs fish. Not blaming Dr. Reef just stating that’s all I’ve added in the last 4 months. Just trying to understand where it came from as I’ve tried to do everything properly so it’s super frustrating.
 
How’s the clownfish doing today? I know you’ll probably say, “the lights are still off” and to that, I’d say use flash or just turn on the lights for a quick peak. lol
 
How’s the clownfish doing today? I know you’ll probably say, “the lights are still off” and to that, I’d say use flash or just turn on the lights for a quick peak. lol
You are correct 🤣 he’s easy to find so was actually going to check in a minute after I get the kids there breakfast.
 
He’s bobbing around in his sleep spot. Hard to tell with flash light but his color almost seemed normal.
 
He’s bobbing around in his sleep spot. Hard to tell with flash light but his color almost seemed normal.

Personally, I typically don't feel comfortable diagnosing Brooklynella without seeing a clear video taken under white light. Advances cases of Brook, where sheets of mucus are peeling off the fish can be diagnosed though a photo, but IMO, the nuanced symptoms of early Brook need to have a video. A video can also rule out other issues.....
 
Personally, I typically don't feel comfortable diagnosing Brooklynella without seeing a clear video taken under white light. Advances cases of Brook, where sheets of mucus are peeling off the fish can be diagnosed though a photo, but IMO, the nuanced symptoms of early Brook need to have a video. A video can also rule out other issues.....
I will take one this afternoon Jay and post link. I’m having a hard time thinking it’s brooklynella as fish is totally normal. No other symptoms than a mucus layer/discoloration. Eating fine, swimming normal, and no abnormal breathing. I’ve also done most everything by the book as far as introducing anything to the system. But I’ll get that video for the you and the experts to gather your opinions, thanks!
 
I will take one this afternoon Jay and post link. I’m having a hard time thinking it’s brooklynella as fish is totally normal. No other symptoms than a mucus layer/discoloration. Eating fine, swimming normal, and no abnormal breathing. I’ve also done most everything by the book as far as introducing anything to the system. But I’ll get that video for the you and the experts to gather your opinions, thanks!
Agreed. That’s why I suggested a simple, temporary fix before you did something drastic like pull everything out and go fallow. The backstory isn’t really making sense. I haven’t heard of brook going dormant for months. That doesn’t really happen.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 23.1%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 28.2%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new