Clownfish died from what seems to be white spot. Help with ID?

ito2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A while ago I made the poor decision to purchase a baby ocellaris clown to pair up with my already established mocca clownfish. I Placed him in the DT (which I’m now starting to regret due to the better safety precautions of owning a quarantine system) and he seemed fine for the first couple of days but as the week progressed I began to notice him contracting large white spots on his body and eyes along with labored breathing. My immediate guess was lymphocistis due to the stress caused by my female clown. But then I noticed the white spots dropping over time and I figured it might be cryptocaryon irritants, trematoda, or early stages of brook. I began salt mixing over night to re establish my QT system since I owned some uncontaminated rocks and substrate but by the morning I found him lifeless and picked on by one of my cleaner shrimps. Out of fear of possible harm to the other fish and some strange behavior from my mocca clown (rapid mouth pulsing, slight discoloration) I’ve quarantined them. Currently I have a bottle of ruby rally pro and cupramarine but would really like to ID what I’m looking at here. If anyone could offer input that would be great!

DT System Params (active for 4 years)

Ammonia:0
Nitrates: 15
DKH: 9.3
Calc: 480
Ph: 7.8
Phosphates:0

QT System:

Ammonia:0
Nitrates:0

Refrence photos/videos of fish:

(Older Female clown)
85588612-B126-48F6-AB94-8F1BAE291E5C.png
099F7E81-78B2-4730-86F1-84210F3EF0F8.png

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The baby ocellaris was really thin and its rapid breathing and skin texture has me thinking it had velvet, Amyloodinium on top of that.

Your mocha is also breathing fast. If the water quality in that fish's tank is fine, I would have to think that it also contracted velvet.

Cupramine in a quarantine tank at 0.50 ppm would be the treatment I would do based on the meds that you said you have on hand. All fish that have been exposed will need to be treated though.

Jay

OP
OP
ito2

ito2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The baby ocellaris was really thin and its rapid breathing and skin texture has me thinking it had velvet, Amyloodinium on top of that.

Your mocha is also breathing fast. If the water quality in that fish's tank is fine, I would have to think that it also contracted velvet.

Cupramine in a quarantine tank at 0.50 ppm would be the treatment I would do based on the meds that you said you have on hand. All fish that have been exposed will need to be treated though.

Jay
Sounds like a good idea! My other suspect was Amyloodinium since I managed to collect a skin sample from the deceased clown to see it under a microscope and still have the clown preserved in a freezer (Albeit the magnification was awful), there were definitely some circular trophant like cells. I dosed cupra in my 10 gallon quarantine and about 2 days later a table spoon of ruby rally until I did more research enough to see that this treatment could interfere with the effectiveness of the medication. The other fish are actually already adjusted in there and have shown no signs of labored breathing. But now it’s sort of a what to do moving forward with the DT since if I’m correct velvet can be photosynthetic , and there are some valuable coral frags and colonies in it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back