Clownfish gills slightly flared

atul176

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got an occelaris clownfish today, and it looked very healthy at the store in 0 copper and 1.022 specific gravity and my qt is at 1.023 so the acclimation jump wasn’t very large. It’s currently in qt at around 1.15 ppm of copper power. I’ve been gradually increasing dosage by .05 after introducing the fish into qt predosed at 1. Anyways, it’s breathing a little rapidly. Not overly fast, but seems a little faster than average. It’s gills also look flared. Is this indicative of something, and if so what are my treatment options. I attached to videos below depicting the fish, and the level of aeration in the aquarium.

Attachments

• 64582356942__B836A02F-4B72-44C6-AA3F-AC3BE41232C3.MOV
    1.7 MB
OP
OP
A

atul176

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right, also forgot to add. It does not seem lethargic at all and is swimming very actively if not hyper. Regarding food, it has a reaction, and takes small pieces but spits them out most of the time. I’m not too concerned about this as I got the little guy today.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the fish looked good in the store, a disease wouldn’t have shown up this quickly, so it is likely just stress from the move. I’m camping out tonight and can’t see your video - is there good aeration in the quarantine tank?
Jay

OP
OP
A

atul176

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the fish looked good in the store, a disease wouldn’t have shown up this quickly, so it is likely just stress from the move. I’m camping out tonight and can’t see your video - is there good aeration in the quarantine tank?
Jay
Yep the surface movement is pretty strong. I got him to eat a single pellet, however he doesn’t seem interested in food this morning, and is either trying to fight his reflection or scratch against the glass. I also noticed that his poop is normal and brown.

Attachments

• 64588408472__0AB96CA1-A69B-47A5-8174-50B4D8A8ADFD.MOV
    2.5 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep the surface movement is pretty strong. I got him to eat a single pellet, however he doesn’t seem interested in food this morning, and is either trying to fight his reflection or scratch against the glass. I also noticed that his poop is normal and brown.
You should have something breaking the surface tension, not just circulation...an air stone is what I use. Do you have a secondary way to measure ammonia? The badges sometimes don't work well, especially the first few days they are used, and then, after a few months of use.

Jay

OP
OP
A

atul176

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should have something breaking the surface tension, not just circulation...an air stone is what I use. Do you have a secondary way to measure ammonia? The badges sometimes don't work well, especially the first few days they are used, and then, after a few months of use.

Jay
Unfortunately my ammonia test kit is expired, however I did seed the aquarium with bio spira, and I do have plenty of prime on hand. I also have an extra alert badge so I can see if there is a correlation or if one is faulty.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back