Clownfish has white stringy poop

nrm2202

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
937CCE1C-C83B-485F-9F82-396570C6DA4D.jpeg
Hi all, I recently started up a new tank and once it finished cycling I went and got a pair of clownfish to add. They both seem very healthy and act normally, however recently one has started having long and stringy white poop. The first time I saw it the poop actually was not white and was darker, but now the fish occasionally gets white poop. Again, both fish seem to be completely healthy and are eating normally with no hesitation at all. I’ve seen a lot of varying information, some saying it can just be digestion/constipation issues while others say if the poop is white it is surely caused by parasites. With this fish acting normally, should I wait before seeking any sort of treatment, or should I look into it right away? If so, what would be the best option for treatment? I do not have a QT available where I’m currently living, so I’d ideally need something that can be done within this tank (the other clown is the only other fish currently in the tank). I’ve attached a couple pictures (taken at different times), please let me know what you all think. 107239F7-4075-4B6B-9100-078CEEB7BC1D.jpeg

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I recently started up a new tank and once it finished cycling I went and got a pair of clownfish to add. They both seem very healthy and act normally, however recently one has started having long and stringy white poop. The first time I saw it the poop actually was not white and was darker, but now the fish occasionally gets white poop. Again, both fish seem to be completely healthy and are eating normally with no hesitation at all. I’ve seen a lot of varying information, some saying it can just be digestion/constipation issues while others say if the poop is white it is surely caused by parasites. With this fish acting normally, should I wait before seeking any sort of treatment, or should I look into it right away? If so, what would be the best option for treatment? I do not have a QT available where I’m currently living, so I’d ideally need something that can be done within this tank (the other clown is the only other fish currently in the tank). I’ve attached a couple pictures (taken at different times), please let me know what you all think. 107239F7-4075-4B6B-9100-078CEEB7BC1D.jpeg
How much are you feeding. I have read that it is mucas caused from not enough food. Its belly looks a little pinched. Try feeding more if it is eating.

Upvote 0

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi,welcome to the reef... :)
agree with above,
what are you feeding ?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
N

nrm2202

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much are you feeding. I have read that it is mucas caused from not enough food. Its belly looks a little pinched. Try feeding more if it is eating.
I hadn’t considered this, and I’ve also seen people say similar problems can happen from digestive issues from over feeding so I’ve been trying to avoid that. I’ll feed a little more in the next few days and keep an eye on them.

hi,welcome to the reef... :)
agree with above,
what are you feeding ?
Thank you! I’ve been feeding marine pellets (imagitarium brand) and usually only a smaller since pinch of them per day.

Upvote 0

fishmonkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i swear i had the hardest time with clownfish when i started. no idea why. i thought it had to do with they way people breed and keep them or something but now i think it has to do with my tank being too new. when i see white poop its a bad sign. anyway here's an article that changed my perspective a lot. dont have to agree with everything but i think there is some good points

Upvote 0

Vagabond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0

Upvote 0

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long stringy white/translucent poop is caused by not eating (enough). The reason for not eating enough is the next question. Could be parasites, or simply not enough food available.

Upvote 0

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
yes, try feeding a small amount a few times a day,
also a variety ,pellets ,marine flake ,frozen not a big fan off myself.
but don't add more than they will eat at a time for now 3-4 x a day,
once acclimated ,fattened up ,fed 2x a day.
hope this helps... :)

Upvote 0

Vagabond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I'm not good at this but thought I'd chime in.
I got a pair of matting clowns in my new rsr170.The same happened to me while transferring to their new home.Make sure they eat,is all I can say.

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!

Stringy feces are common in new clownfish. The causes range from too little food, to little fiber, bacteria, protozoa and coccidea. Trouble is, without a microscope, you can’t rule anything out. I agree with the others, feed frequent small amounts throughout the day. Ensure it is getting enough fiber - brine shrimp or copepods are a good source. This helps expel any protozoans.
Jay

Upvote 0

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hadn’t considered this, and I’ve also seen people say similar problems can happen from digestive issues from over feeding so I’ve been trying to avoid that. I’ll feed a little more in the next few days and keep an eye on them.

Thank you! I’ve been feeding marine pellets (imagitarium brand) and usually only a smaller since pinch of them per day.
Id recommend getting some frozen food instead. I like reef frenzy. Some pellets are not super nutritious. Also, you should feed a decent amount, but every other day. either way, maybe get a naccarius to deal with leftovers

Upvote 1

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back